Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RW’s Trafic T1100 Camper – making it a bit better

This weekend I changed the fuel pump. The one on the engine (F1N 724) had a hole in the casing (was the diaphragm punctured too?) and had been spurting oil over the manifolds. A temporary repair with Araldite had sealed the hole.
I sourced an equivalent Pierburg unit at a great price from Mister-Auto. One nut (arrowed) was problematic to undo and after a struggle I got a spanner to fit but could only turn the nut a few degrees at a time.
The vapour return outlet on the new unit only had a pin-hole sized jet. I was concerned that the pipe casting might have flashing blocking the hole. The original one was the same so that put my mind at ease.
I was puzzled why there were 3 paper gaskets! The new pump only came with one gasket. I reused one gasket between the flange and spacer and the brand new one between the spacer and engine, and fitted them 'dry'.
Another snag! - fitting the new pump in place I couldn't get a spanner back onto the problem nut. I guess the new pump body is fractionally different in shape. I could've gained more access if only I'd had a star-drive socket to remove the lifting hook or a ¼" drive u/j to get a slim socket on the nut.
Luckily my late father was an engineer and had collected some odd spanners. I found a couple of slim ones which had a different offset that allowed enough purchase on the nut to turn it a fraction until I could use a ring spanner at the end to tighten it properly. Hurrah!!
I refitted the rubber petrol pipes, checking they went onto the correct inlet/outlet stubs. After 5 turns of the ignition key, vroom, the engine fired into life :). I checked there was no seepage from anywhere and now this should be another job ticked off the list.
Next up is probably changing the auxiliary belt. I have the new one ready and waiting to be fitted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Re: RW’s Trafic T1100 Camper – making it a bit better

Nice one RW.
Are you doing a complete resto thread.:d

·
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Nice one RW.
Are you doing a complete resto thread.:d
Yeah, I'll keep it going. Got plenty of jobs to sort out ie poor starting, cupboard doors falling apart, wiring in split-charge unit, loose door locks, heater motor noisy, 3-way fridge needs overhaul, passenger seat base sagging, install a radio/cd unit, 3rd gear poor at engaging, crazing on fibreglass roof, tyres cracking on sidewalls, window frames need repainting, oil change in engine & gearbox, underfloor water tank strap buckled, investigate all those loose wires, change thermostat....etc etc etc This is only the start :eek:

·
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank You Stu :) I think members such as Vic(aka TurboDXman) and Donald (Italian Coke Can Project) and the guy (name forgotten:eek:) who's doing the Triumph motorcyle-engined Special, have all set brilliant examples. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Just thought that as Campers and old Trafics are under-represented because of their small numbers, and Technical publications are very limited, I'd try and share some of my experiences.
It might help someone and maybe some tips may be thrown my way too. :think:
But progress on my jobs list will be a lot slower than the others :tumbleweed:

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts

Here's a tip.:d

Take your camera out of it's plastic bag to take your pictures.:d:d:moonie:

·
Super Moderator
8,480 Posts

Thank You Stu :) I think members such as Vic(aka TurboDXman) and Donald (Italian Coke Can Project) and the guy (name forgotten:eek:) who's doing the Triumph motorcyle-engined Special, have all set brilliant examples. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Just thought that as Campers and old Trafics are under-represented because of their small numbers, and Technical publications are very limited, I'd try and share some of my experiences.
It might help someone and maybe some tips may be thrown my way too. :think:
But progress on my jobs list will be a lot slower than the others :tumbleweed:
Regardless of how long it takes RW I think you will enjoy messing round with it and also like you say with them getting rare I cant see you will be wasting your time or even money as I would have thought they will be worth a penny or two in the future and there always seems a following for Campers anyway.

Stu

·
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

With renewed enthusiasm, today I fitted a new Auxilliary Drive Belt :)

The old one on the engine had clearly been on there several years and was showing signs of degredation on the inner ribbed section.

Before commencing the job I checked both old/new belts were the same width and length (using string). [I've learned to check this as my Astra has 3 different length belt options depending on the engine variant fitted :eek:].

Easy job? - it should have been, only two alternator mounting bolts to slacken off, slacken off the belt tensioner, rotate the alternator downwards, slip off the old belt, slip on the new one, tension the belt on the adjuster, and tighten up the mounting bolts.

Snags? - I loosened the nut on the long mounting bolt but couldnt slacken the actual bolt head. In the end I had to unwind the nut to the end of the bolt to avoid damage to the thread and use a hammer & drift to pursuade the bolt to ease off. Did it? - No :mad: its still stuck solid. (I guess the steel bolt has corroded and fused itself inside the aluminium bracket ??).
In the end, to get the alternator to rotate, I had to use more persuasion with the hammer & drift on the flange where the second mounting bolt is fixed (don't hit on the actual body otherwise you may damage the internals). Luckily the alternator rotated sufficiently to allow the belt swap.
Fitting the new belt was a bit tricky as it wouldn't stretch over the pulleys, so remembering a tip I'd read, I placed the belt on the alternator pulley first and then half-way on the crankshaft pulley. I then rotated the engine crankshaft pulley using a ratchet & socket while applying sideways pressure to the belt with my fingers. The belt walked on nice and easy :d.

Before fitting the new belt I wiped the pulleys clean in case there was oily dirt in the grooves Also I checked all 3 pulleys for any signs of looseness or 'end float' and that the water pump and alternator bearings rotated smoothly.
All being well the new belt was fitted and tensioned up until there was 3mm downward deflection in centre of the longest run. I checked this on 3 areas in case the belt doesn't stretch evenly (like a bike chain).

Job done!! :cool: Next job? - watch this space :d

Attachments

·
Premium Member
517 Posts

Just noticed your restoration thread. :eek:

It's a pretty big project but you'll sail thru with patience and the most important thing, perseverence! :d

Good luck mate! ;)

·
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Today I fitted a replacement thermostat (bought last year:eek:) as the one on the engine was prone to sticking closed.
It was a fairly simple task, but as always things are never quite as straightforward as they should be.

On a cold engine, I removed the filler cap from the expansion bottle and positioned a bucket below the radiator bottom hose and drained off the coolant for re-use. This was so when I unbolted the thermostat housing I wouldn't have coolant flooding everywhere. I decided to re-use the coolant as I only changed it last year so it should still have protection for another 2 years, plus the water was clean (no rusty scale like I had on the first coolant change :(). The thermostat housing is mounted on the rear of the cylinder head and removed by 3 x 10mm bolts. On removing the housing I was shocked to see the last 'mechanic' had fitted the thermostat the wrong way round :mad: Also the rubber seal was perished. I checked my Haynes manuals (R21 & Volvo) and they both verified which was the correct orientation. After cleaning the housing of scale and the mating surface on the cylinder head I remounted the new unit and tightened the bolts evenly in rotation hand tight. I finally tightened all 3 bolts fully using a 1/4" drive ratchet as these bolts are so small that using a 1/2" drive you could overtighten with that dreaded 'snap' which many of us have experienced :eek:. I refilled the coolant and ran the engine to expel any air bubbles and check for leaks (seems ok so far :)). I expect to top-up the coolant again after a short run and possibly bleed the heater matrix if necesary. But overall its another 'job done' :d
nb: it was a bit confusing having a spare seal supplied with the new thermostat..I thought it was another seal to be fitted but no :nonono: (I did check the manuals for a second time).

New problem :mad: : while doing this job I noticed a serious problem with the crankshaft position sensor .... I'll post this issue as a seperate new thread.

Attachments

·
Banned
30,789 Posts

Great thread RW :) What time span are you estimating for completion? Or an it an ongoing no idea :confused: project?

Here's a tip.:d

Take your camera out of it's plastic bag to take your pictures.:d:d:moonie:
Great tip Dave, seems to have worked too. :d

·
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Great thread RW :) What time span are you estimating for completion? .........Great tip Dave, seems to have worked too. :d
:moonie::d

Good Job RW :cool:
Thanks again guys :d It's not so much a restoration as keep it going for as long as possible with keeping costs down.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts

Great job Renoir White. ;)

One question: do you have a special hose clamp pliers for those typically Renault water hose clamps painted green?

I'm asking this as I also have the same hose clamps on the Renault 21 but don't have yet the tool for 'em. :(

But found another tool which can be used but not in confined spaces: the small "french tool" as we call it here, in Romania.

Attachments

·
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Great job Renoir White. ;)
One question: do you have a special hose clamp pliers for those typically Renault water hose clamps painted green?
Cheers Vic :d I use a pair of adjustable mole grips (pictured in case you call them by another name)or you could use slip pliers to squeeze the tabs together just enough so the clip can be slid over the stub. Ths spring clip is strong and does not distort with being moved several times.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
517 Posts

Thanks for the info RW. ;)

I do have an adjustable mole grip, fortunately, but as it's not a top quality tool (mine) I prefer using the other tool whose name in English I don't know yet :eek: (the black one). :)

·
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Replaced the engine breather pipe today as the original rubber hose was badly cracked. It was letting fumes and oil mist into the engine bay which get drawn into the cab by the heater.
I could not get a new replacement pipe from anywhere :(...these are officially obselete stock.
In the end I bought an offcut length of oil-proof silicone hose for £3.45 and although the i/d is slightly large at 16mm, a couple of jubilee clips make it a snug fit on the stubs and its doing the job. The only thing is this hose kinks easily so the curves have to be shallow.
I'll keep the old hose for now as one day I may come across an original one or a reasonable match and I'll have a pattern for comparison.
At least its added some snazzy blue colour to the engine bay.:cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 329 Posts