Independent Renault Forums banner

321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Major fire averted 🔥 Whilst getting the jack out from under the bonnet the other day I happened to notice the fuel hose looking a bit odd ..... on closer inspection I found it was cracked to buggery along its full length. Seems the heat from the exhaust side of the engine has well and truly baked it over the years. Could have been interesting had the hose perforated with fine fuel mist spraying over the hot manifold. Have now fitted a new longer pipe so I can route it a bit further away from hazards. Think I'll have to keep closer watch in the future. Prevention is better than cure. :geek:

·
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
I'm gettting on with the jobs again now.

Have Hylomar'd the fuel pump spacer to the head ..... seems to have cured the annoying oil drip onto the manifold shield.
Also changed air filter and engine oil and filter changed. Small jobs but needed doing, which reminds me I must write molasses on the shopping list. 🍝 :whistle:

·
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Have decided to buy a 'new' alternator and there is a couple of budget options I could go for so I have the following two questions to ask the wise ones :-

a) My drive belt is a 5PK ...... can I fit an alternator with a 6PK pulley or will the belt 'walk' about when the engine is running?

b) there's a NOS alternator fitted with a V-belt pulley .... can I swap over my ribbed pulley? Are they 'universal' fit or could there be an issue with shaft lengths?

Any advice will be welcome. Thank You.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,258 Posts
to fit a v belt, you would need to change all pulleys ..
crank , water pump , and tensioner
Wont the width of the pulley on the 5 be narrower than one on the 6,
Chances are, belt wont run true, and could as you say, walk off, ..

·
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
to fit a v belt, you would need to change all pulleys ..
crank , water pump , and tensioner
Wont the width of the pulley on the 5 be narrower than one on the 6,
Chances are, belt wont run true, and could as you say, walk off, ..
Thanks Stu, I don't want to fit a v belt. I was thinking of taking the ribbed pulley off my old alternator and fitting it to the new one that has a v pulley.
Was wondering if the 5 belt would sit nicely in a 6 rib pulley with a spare groove or if it needs the sides of the pulley to keep it in place.
There's a couple for around £28 - £34 and a few others about £64. Don't really want to pay £150+ just to get an 'original spec' for the Trafic where a R19 or R21 spec is the same fit on the same block.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,258 Posts
if length of shaft leaving the alternator where pulleys fit, cannot see why..
we used to have to do this on all alternators , could have an alternator with any type/size of pulley fitted, .
its only now alternators come with pulleys matched to the car ..
Just dont bend the cooling fan behind the pulley ( Makes a right noise at speed )
OR SO I am led to believe LOL

·
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
New alternator fitted at last so that'll give me some reassurance of battery power now the autumn/winter temperatures are approaching. I'm just disappointed that such a simple job had to go to the garage to do ... apparently they had a hell of a job removing the long bolt too. It was well corroded into the brackets.

Attachments

·
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #329 (Edited)
Have fitted a new 075 battery today from Advanced Battery Supplies who I have used twice before. The old battery has been good for 6+1/2 years but just wouldn't store enough power to crank the engine more than 3 - 4 short bursts, even with the new alternator. Luckily the van would start 1st or 2nd time in daily use throughout the year but now night temperatures are dropping and the wipers/heater/headlight are in greater use too I need the security of better reliability. Here's hoping 🤞

Had to re-coat battery tray too ...... the base was wet where water had seeped under the tetraseal and rusted the plate again. Have scraped off the loose material and dried it and applied a coat of Hammerite. Thank goodness this paint is quick drying and it should do the job for the time being.

·
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
I've changed from Hammerite to stone chip for them quick cote of paint jobs.
Hey Eddie :) Happy New Year to you 🍷 I just use whatever I can find in the shed. That tin of Hammerite must be donkeys years old. With the price of paint nowadays I might as well be buying gold ... neither of which I can afford. The poor Trafic is now starting to rust on the sills. :(

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Hey Eddie :) Happy New Year to you 🍷 I just use whatever I can find in the shed. That tin of Hammerite must be donkeys years old. With the price of paint nowadays I might as well be buying gold ... neither of which I can afford. The poor Trafic is now starting to rust on the sills. :(

Happy new year Derick, surprised you got away with an old tin of Hammerite, the last tin I bought had a crust on top must have been new old stock. My Trafic had rotten sills when I bought it I know a very good body works so with the price I paid for the camper and a great deal off Malcolm I did alright. Cost me more to get an mot than I paid for the van but an autosleeper conversion for just over a grand I wasn't complaining, the Bongo failed this mot again sills and again £450 for a complete set if sills. But batter the devil's you know

·
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
So last weekend on my trip to the supermarket I ran over some small accident debris scattered across the road. After shopping I re-fueled with petrol. On the way home I noticed a smell of petrol which over the week got progressively stronger and overpowering. First thought was damaged fuel lines but there was no obvious sign of leakage on the ground or anywhere else. The smell seemed to be strongest at the front of the van so next suspect was the carburretor .... leaking float or stuck needle valve. The weather was against me so I didn't get to remove the top of the carb as intended but looking into the throat it was a bit black so I gave it a squirt of carb cleaner but otherwise there was no excessive fuel smell and no sign of leakage from any gaskets (such as accellerator pump). Otherwise the engine has been running perfectly .. starting normally and no spitting, pops or bangs when driving. Mentioning this to a mechanic friend of mine he suggested it may be the fuel pump leaking internally and passing petrol into the cylinder head, so check your engine oil. I checked the dipstick but wasn't 100% certain I could detect a petrol smell in the oil, but then again everything smelt and tasted of petrol as I'd been breathing it every day I drove the van. As its a relatively easy swap to do I bought a new pump as a cheaper one only cost £25. RESULT !! - leaking fuel smell has disappeared. I would never have guessed that was the problem and would probably have been sitting here now with the carb in bits and an overhaul kit. Another lesson learnt. :)

321 - 333 of 333 Posts