Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

I have looked everywhere through out the forums for advice and have found some great info about propshafts but still have not found the answer to my question.

The gearbox in my 2002 2.0l rx4 needs replacing and they are near impossible to come by.

I have read that it is possible to convert from 4wd to 2wd by removing the propshaft, but can I replace my gearbox with a standard 2wd gearbox. maybe the 1.6 scenic or laguna or otherwise.:confused:

anyone done this all help welcome

·
Registered
60 Posts
the last one i fiited late last yeay was obtained from car transplant at a cost of 450 .as to your question sorry cant help there ,normal just convert them to front wheel drive .hope this is some use to you

R

·
0 Posts
I have read that it is possible to convert from 4wd to 2wd by removing the propshaft, but can I replace my gearbox with a standard 2wd gearbox. maybe the 1.6 scenic or laguna or otherwise.:confused:

If going down that route I would go for the 2.0 FWD gearbox as both the 2.0 RX4 and 2.0 FWD Scenic both use the same 2.0 F4R engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
If going down that route I would go for the 2.0 FWD gearbox as both the 2.0 RX4 and 2.0 FWD Scenic both use the same 2.0 F4R engine
Hi, I have the same problem as you, the gearbox literally went BANG yesterday, also sounded like a million bolts flying and clanging around inside, then another enormous bang and a great big hole appeared at the bottom of the gearbox with fluid flying everywhere!!!!! I cannot find a gearbox anywhere for this car, so maybe I will try to do the same as you? Although I have spoken to various mechanics and breakers today, but no-one suggested that option, have you got any further and if so could you let me know how you went about it? I am in Surrey. Hope you've got ot sorted? Many thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI all,

I have looked everywhere through out the forums for advice and have found some great info about propshafts but still have not found the answer to my question.

The gearbox in my 2002 2.0l rx4 needs replacing and they are near impossible to come by.

Hi, I have the same problem as you, the gearbox literally went BANG yesterday, also sounded like a million bolts flying and clanging around inside, then another enormous bang and a great big hole appeared at the bottom of the gearbox with fluid flying everywhere!!!!! I cannot find a gearbox anywhere for this car, so maybe I will try to do the same as you? Although I have spoken to various mechanics and breakers today, but no-one suggested that option, have you got any further and if so could you let me know how you went about it? I am in Surrey. Hope you've got ot sorted? Many thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rx4 gearbox :-((((((((

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Hi, the gearbox literally went BANG yesterday, also sounded like a million bolts flying and clanging around inside, then another enormous bang and a great big hole appeared at the bottom of the gearbox with fluid flying everywhere!!!!! I cannot find a gearbox anywhere for this car (and have been advised not to unless it is a recon, which costs a fortune). Although I have spoken to various mechanics and breakers today, and not got anywhere fast, I saw another post, saying that it could be a possibility to convert it to a 2WD, but No-one that I have spoken to today suggested this, has anyone done it and if so, did it work? Plus what gearbox would I be looking at etc.......? I am based in Surrey. Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Re: Rx4 gearbox :-((((((((

As Pat indicates,there are plenty of RX4's out there being broken.If the links above don't bring any joy then try www.findapart.co.uk or 1stchoicespares.com

A second hand box has to make economic sense,even if it is just to get the vehicle working properly so that you can sell it.A decent recon box is going to be at least double the price of a second hand unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Rx4 gearbox :-((((((((

you dont say which engine you have in your rx4 but try this

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=breaking+rx4&_sacat=See-All-Categories

you will have to contact the sellers to see if they have the gearbox
I saw another post, saying that it could be a possibility to convert it to a 2WD, has anyone done it and if so, did it work? Plus what gearbox would I be looking at etc.......? I am based in Surrey. Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

I ended up having the gearbox reconditioned, but the car is now only 2wd as the transfer box was knackered. I left the prop shatf in place, its just not connected anymore !!!

It runs well as a 2wd, in fact i don't notice any difference.

so far.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I have had my prop shaft removed from my RX4 DCi, it runs better and if I need it can be refitted in a few mins. if you don't remove it it will still rotate from the rear wheels and the dampers will vibrate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts