Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, picked up a 2nd hand RX4 which was cleverly disguised from having a leaking rear diff. Basically on the drive home the oil warmed up and started leaking out, didn't catch it before.

It seems to be coming from the driveshaft-end of the diff, though I can't be certain if it's actually coming from the actual driveshaft entry point (Sorry, I'm new to diffs, not sure the technical term) or whether it's coming from the "join" in the main diff body itself.

I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Also anyone know if the petrol and diesel diffs are different should I need to get a replacement? What would be involved in removing it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi think you need to get the prop off first but must say that photo looks more like a stain I would clean it off ensue diff level is correct then run it for a while then worry cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a puddle under the car so it's definitely more than a stain. It's 100% leaking. I will try and get some pics from the front of the unit to get a better idea of the source of the leak. Thanks for all your help so far :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So here are a couple of pics I've managed to take. The leak definitely seems to be coming from the input shaft seal. It's between the big drum (which I assume is the viscous coupling?) And the main diff body.

So my questions are:
1. How easy is it to get the diff out? The prop looks relatively easy and the diff seems attached to the car by 4 large bolts, but it's getting the driveshafts out that looks the tricky bit.
2. Do the petrol and diesel versions share the same diff? I can't seem to find out anywhere.
3. Can I buy a new seal, or will I have to replace the whole diff? Again, I can find diff seals but I don't know if they're the right ones.
4. Is it a problem running it 2WD? Will it fail MOT like that? Will I cause further damage?

Thanks

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi just been looking on ebay for better idea of diff see they go for+-£120 so if you get stuck it's a option cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm keeping my eye on them, but without knowing if the petrol and diesel ones are the same I could be taking a risk. They're all listed for their specific fuel types, but if I Google the part number it seems to apply to both...I think? It's a minefield!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm making some progress with part numbers. I saw ones on the web listed as J641340041 (typically diesel ones) and others listed as J641FG0721 (typically petrol).

I've managed to at least crack part of this:

So here we see J641FG0721, which is actually the part number for the front mounting bracket.

Here is J641340041, which is actually the part number for the main diff body. What I'm hoping is that this is the same for both petrol and diesel models. I'm assuming the rear bracket also has a separate part number.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have been scouring the web for 2 days and finally came across a German salvage merchant who had a 2.0 petrol diff with the same part number as mine (they also Had the 1.9 listed with the same too) so I'm pretty confident the petrol and diesel cars share the same diff. Just need to find a good one and figure out how to swap it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Part ordered. Confirmed with the breakers (via part numbers) that the part on the petrol is the same as the one on the diesel, so that's reassuring.

Next bridge to cross is how to swap them. Biggest problem I can forsee is how to get the driveshafts out. Am I likely to have to dissect the rear hubs to get them out from that side or will there be any give so I can get them out of the diff?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update. Replacement diff has arrived and is waiting for fitting. I found an RX4 service manual online that suggests that all I need to do is lower the diff a bit and I should be able to release the driveshafts.
Was gonna do it today until I realised that I don't have a drain plug bit and you can only buy them in complete sets in the shops so I've ordered one online and will have a go at the weekend

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diff removal observations:
The rubber donut is in great condition
The prop looks like it's already been replaced once as it has breaker scrawl all over it.
Removing the hex bolts from the donut is harder than it looks. Helps having pixie hands (which I most definitely do not)
I should have removed the VC before removing the driveshafts as now I can't get it off :(
The VC vibration damper was barely attached. If I refurbish this unit I'll not bother with it.
The driveshafts need a good hard whack with a pry bar and a hammer to release them!
Somehow I drained 1.1litres of oil from the old diff. Given its only supposed to hold 800ml and it's been leaking for who knows how long, that's a bit weird.
The mounting bolts for the diff are a proper pain in the backside as you have to hold the nut while you undo the bolt. Not easy.
I need a beer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Argh panic. I can't get the offside drive shaft back into the diff. It's just not having it. No idea what to do now

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I thought maybe putting it all back together and lowering the car might put enough pressure on the drive shaft to push it back in, but no such luck. So the offside driveshaft is just sat in the housing and I can't push it in far enough to lock.

Anyone got any ideas? I can't even fill the diff up as it'd just leak out of the driveshaft hole

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Managed to put a hole through the inner CV gaiter whilst fighting with it. Can't find the parts for sale separately so looks like I'm gonna have to get a whole replacement driveshaft from eBay and dismantle the hub. Already hate this car

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not having much luck. Replacement driveshaft arrived today, and it's completely wrong. So am physically picking another one up later from a local breakers yard. However, I believe I have managed to find a replacement boot for the one I holed. If my research (and Russian) is any good, the boot is the same as those found on the front driveshaft of the Mazda 121!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Old vs replacement. Aside from the gaiters looking cleaner I can't figure out why I couldn't get the old one in. The circlip is a little looser I suppose...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts