Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to here have a slight problem brought a rx4 2.0 petrol version a few weeks ago good car but have a problem with the stop light and oil light is flickering on and of when engine is warmed up?
any ideas i would asume that it could be the pressure sensor or that it might need a oil change but cant be sure
any help would be greatful

darren

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
It could either a faulty oil pressure sensor, thinning engine oil, a worn engine or oil pump.

When was the oil last changed and what grade was it. I would recommend changing the engine oil and filter first and see what happens.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for that the oil is very thin when it has been running which is when the lights come on more and warmed up will have to try these goin to take it back to where i brought it and see what they say

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could either a faulty oil pressure sensor, thinning engine oil, a worn engine or oil pump.

When was the oil last changed and what grade was it. I would recommend changing the engine oil and filter first and see what happens.:)

Have had the car in the garage where i bought it they have replaced the pressure sensor and filter and oil still happining they are goin to replace the oil level switch will keep informed on what helps

any other help would be a bonus

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Is it the oil level warning light or oil pressure warning light?

The oil level sensor won't make the oil pressure light come on and even if it was faulty the problem would arise even when cold.

I suspect either a worn engine or faulty oil pump. Although I hope I'm wrong.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The oil level sensor won't make the oil pressure light come on and even if it was faulty the problem would arise even when cold.

Hi would hope its not a worn engine as it has only done 34k so will hope all it is the oil pump b ut at 170quid i would hope not
many thanks for the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just to let you know oil level sensor replaced with new oil and filter and problem has stopped

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

hi have had car back for a week and it has started agian but i have done some detective work and if i unplug the oil level sensor it stops so could this be a wiring problem or still a faulty sensor

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
its possible a good flush of the system will help
as it is possible once the oil has been pumped around the engine the oil cant get back to the sump fast enough causing the sensor to think the oil level is low
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its possible a good flush of the system will help
as it is possible once the oil has been pumped around the engine the oil cant get back to the sump fast enough causing the sensor to think the oil level is low
Ron

sorry took so long to get back have had the problem fixed it was down there being **** in the oil pick up pipe to the filter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.