Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the starter motor on my '03 (53 plate) RX4 is on the way out - it's a bit lazy on a cold start and when the engine is warm won't turn over at all (I've swapped batteries etc and it isn't that!). Having sourced a new starter, it appears impossible to remove/replace without dismantling half of the engine. Has anyone done this successfully with the engine in situ?

G

·
Re: RX$ Starter Motor

Which engine do you have in the car?

If it's the petrol engine then you will have to undo the exhaust manifold (after removing the upper heat shield) from the cylinder head and push it as far out of the way as possible to give you access.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Starter should be relatively easy to replace on the F9Q 740 Dci engine. This is all what the Renault workshop instruction says: Removing the starter does not present any special difficulties.
Note: Refitting is the reversal of removal. Check for the presence of the centring dowel when refitting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - after some faffing about, we decided that the problem lay in the feed from battery to starter motor (used a jump lead to bypass) - the lead is part of the engine loom and over £300 from Renault! Simply made up a new lead from 12mm cable and soldered ends and ran it in parallel - sorted:d - swapping the starter motor on these is the best part of a days labour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.