Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
this is my first time here so sorry if I sound a bit vague.
my safrane 2.5 engine coolings fans have packed up both on low &high temp,it has a n7u engine code so it has no switch in the radiator,it is controlled from the fuel injection system,when plugged into computer it reads a fault code of 8G and 9D, the relays are ok, when operating the ac it works great when moving but service light comes on in traffic, the car has a voice command which on starting car says (fuel injection system faulty ) apart from overheating in stationary traffic the car runs great.Any help would be very much appriciated
Thanks Lee

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,944 Posts
hi
there has to be a electrical temperature switch somewhere on the cooling system/or bolted to the engine.
if you can find it, a paperclip is quickest fix (just remember to remove it once you park up, of you'll flatten the battery) (this fix works well on most reno's with temp switch issues):d

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Hi

i can second that there is no switch on the radiator. I've 2 of these cars in bits. The first one i broke up and the second i removed the engine from for an overhaul and air con system rebuild.

There is no temperature switch however there is a small box of relays to next to the radiator on the drivers side under the air con drier/rx (visible from underneath the car). I doubt it would be a relay but its possible. Also there are plugs for the rad panel behind the passenger side headlight. You might want to check those with a continuity tester to be sure that none of them are defective. Some testers have sharp tips on the probes for this - you dig it into the wire on each side of the plug.

There is somewhere, a temperature sensor but I think its on the engine itself but I'm not sure which one it actually is (there are probes and sensors all over this engine). The only place you need to look for it is the front of the block (including behind the inlet manifold - which is a pain to get to) and the side of the block above the gearbox (you might need to remove the top half of the air filter housing to get clear access). Be warned though some of these have wax in them and if it gets onto the connectors or into the slots it can play havoc with the electricals. I spent days trying to work out why the fuel pump relays were buzzing on and off rapidly because of this.

Failing that, start looking at the fuses themselves both inside the engine bay (in the black box on the passenger side) and by the steering wheel.

You might also want to consider removing the bumper and checking that there is no physical obstruction of the fans. When I pranged our safrane into a volvo a couple of years back (black ice) it killed both fans. Once we got it back from the insurers and i stripped down the front end I found that they were caught on the air conditioning rad/condensor. I literally gave them a helping hand to free them and they came loose. They wouldn't operate by themselves though, it did take a bit of 'convincing' to get them free and turning again. You might of had someone nudge the front of your car in a car park and being an old car they might of driven off thinking tough luck so this is worth checking. To get the front bumper off, loosen the wheel bolts at the front, jack up the car, put onto axle stands* (there is a big bit of metal under the car in the middle with big bolts on either side - axle stands can go there directly under the bolts). Remove wheels, engine under tray, arch liners (those big round bits of plastic holding the liners in have to be pulled out so a screwdriver helps), then behind the bumper you'll see a couple of nuts/bolts and a small plastic white tab. Unscrew these, WD40 the plastic tab and slide down and then disconnect the foglights. Now you should be able to carefully pull the bumper forwards and off the car (careful as it will try to drop to the ground once the sides are off the supports). Once its off the fans will be right in front of you. Check they spin freely. If they don't you've been nudged and you might need that big metal bar replacing too that goes across the front as its part of the cars structure. IF this is the case you'll need to get an engine crane from somewhere and just lift the engine a little (no need to unbolt it just take the weight off the chassis) before removing and refitting the bar but be careful not to lift the car by the engine and off the stands..

I can't say much more as I've not had this problem (yet) but with the amount of the engine bay i had in bits and then rebuilt i wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the same boat..

*The safrane is a heavy car at the front end. I personally do not trust it sitting on 2T stands as i've heard 'noises' from them in the past under the strain (despite the car being 1.5T - weird I know). I'd recommend you use 3T stands if you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks very much for the imformation, very sorry in the delay in replying but I have been working away from home. I have seen the blocks of electrical connecters by the headlamp. I will remove the lamp and check all the connections, I have checked the 3 relays by the rad and are working fine when tested. again thanks very much will keep you informed.
Cheers Lee

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Hi

Don't know if you've solved this yet but I did end up with the same problem.. dead fans and "Fuel injection system faulty". Turned out to be some dodgy connection on a temperature sensor. The sensor is located on the side of the block above the gearbox. The wire goes towards the cabin and has a grey plug/socket which is held by a clip on a metal bracket. Try taking this off the clip/bracket and wiggling it around.

No promises that will fix anything (could be a duff relay etc for anyone else) but I thought it would be worth posting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.