Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi All,
My titanic has failed it's MOT on emissions and a nearside front suspension lower ball joint. Can i change the ball joint without changing the wishbone? And my first port of call for the emmisions is the plugs, if this doesn't work, what next?
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hi

Yes, the ball joint can be pressed out and a replacement pressed in. You'll need to disconnect the hub from the driveshaft though and its recommended you replace the hub nut for a new one (about a fiver from renault parts). The ball joint itself is about £17 +/- from non renault sources which is a considerable saving from a new wishbone.

If you're looking to DIY, the tool is rather 'unique' and costs about £100 +/- but is available here on ebay. You can watch how to use it on youtube. There may be other ways to remove it (I'm told you can smack them out with a hammer) but i've never found one that works other than this tool. You'll also want a ball joint splitter to split the hub from the ball joint after removing the nut as the ball joint and hub tend to weld themselves together with rust. Also watch the nut as you're undoing it on the balljoint itself as they can sezie half way up the thread - i've had to hacksaw 2 of them off. Otherwise take it to a mechie who will be able to save you the bother :d

No idea about the emissions, you could try the usual spark plug replacement and an oil/filter change but you might be in need of a new cat converter in the worst case scenario.

HTH!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If you search the forums, I'm pretty sure someone out there is looking for a car as a parts donor.

Either that, or list it in the 'for sale' section.

HTH

Paul

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Right, i have had enough, think it's going in the bin.
Whats happened? - I assume its failed again?

At least tell us what has happened. Failing that list it on ebay as they're still popular cars. Or break it up - parts for them are becoming scarce.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it failed on the emissions again, needs a cat i think. Also the baffles have collapsed in the center box. Haven't even looked at the wishbone bush yet. Will have to speak to the person who gave it to us and see if they want it back first, will try to put it to use rather than crushing it. Also my wife has changed her joband can walk to work, it's not really suitable as a second car.
Will keep everybody posted on what is happening.

Just got Sunday to look forward to, watching the last Vulcan take off from Doncaster airport.
:d

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hang on, if it failed on emissions AND a ball joint, then why is it a big issue that its failed again on emissions if you had it retested without fixing the ball joint?

From my POV you set up the car for failure as it wouldn't pass a retest without the wishbone work anyway. Did you even do the plugs and oil?

When you started this thread you said the ball joint needed replacing but now you're saying wishbone bush? - Where in the UK are you and which one is it? - If you're near to me i can sort the ball joint.

As far as the cat is concerned, you have two choices:
1) Buy a new one
2) Get one from a breaker - iffy but might keep you on the road then you can let it go elsewhere.

Hang in there, Safranes can be frustrating at times but they're worth the effort ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeas, sorry about the mistake, it failed the original test on the emissions and a lower suspension ball joint. I tried a few things and took it back so he could retest the emissions but it is so bad that the machine just stops the test.
The thing is that we can now get by without two cars and we also have a VW Bora which I use for work.
I really like the car but can't afford to have it sat around for occasional use.
I have realised however that it is too good to just scrap.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
'Too good to scrap'.....thats the first time I've heard that said about a Safrane.:d

What exactly were the results of the emissions test?.Is it CO,Lambda or HC's causing the problem?.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Yeas, sorry about the mistake, it failed the original test on the emissions and a lower suspension ball joint. I tried a few things and took it back so he could retest the emissions but it is so bad that the machine just stops the test.
But you still didn't do the ball joint? - So the retest was still going to fail anyway.

The thing is that we can now get by without two cars and we also have a VW Bora which I use for work.
I really like the car but can't afford to have it sat around for occasional use.
I have realised however that it is too good to just scrap.
There lies the problem. You say you like the car but its too good to scrap. Thats what almost every ebay'd safrane seller also says yet they don't want to be the one lumbered with it. Unfortunately they're not pets so you can't really expect the next owner to treat it as one. If you're going to get shot of it you've 2 main choices really: sell as spares or repair OR break it / scrap it. You might get lucky and find someone who wants to fix it up though.

I know someone who's got a dead 2L safrane on his drive at the moment - aux belt snapped and took out the cambelt. He might be interested in letting the cat and exhaust go but you'll have to PM me quick if you're interested as he's looking to dispose of it fairly soon. I'll email him with the prospect and see what he says.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts