Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Investigated the fuel leak today and found the cause - will put details in seperate thread...

In order to get to the bottom of it, I took the plastic cover off the engine.

To my surprise, I found the head on the engine had some interesting info cast on the top of it.

B3340 3.2

:crazy:

Volvo engines are normally prefixed with the B letter and then the model number. Mine is supposed to be a B54F also known as the B5254.

The weird bit which gets me also is where it says quite clearly 3.2!

Can anyone shed any light on this? - I'm really confused. I have a 2.5ltr car which is technically a 2.4 engine (2435cc) and now the engine in there is indicating it might be a 3.2 litre.... I'm rather confused.

Anyone got any knowledge on this matter?

I'll post a pic in the next few days if I get chance..

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
I think B3340 could be a "type number" I've seen that code refer to a 2.3 5cyl Volvo unit too (just Googled it ;))

I agree though delta - 3.2 seems odd - I highly doubt it is a 3.2 litre engine, 3.2 is a heck of a large capacity for a 5cyl engine, and is pushing it even for a straight 6 IMO :)

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
The '3.2' could be some revision code. Or something else. But it certainly isn't referring to the engine capacity.

Unless they're still using the Imperial Swedish Koenigsliter, which was officially replaced by the metric litre following Sweden's participation at la Convention du Mètre in 1875.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to get a photo later if it stops raining at some point.

Definately says 3.2 on there though for some odd reason!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I highly doubt it is a 3.2 litre engine, 3.2 is a heck of a large capacity for a 5cyl engine, and is pushing it even for a straight 6 IMO :)
I wouldn't have thought so. Porsche ran a 3.0 litre four at one stage, and the Dodge Ram can be had with a 6.5 litre straight-six turbodiesel.
I'll grant you, though, that these were/are not such high-revving engines, and major mostly on vast amounts of torque (Ram about 750 lb/ft at 1600 rpm).

·
Premium Member
23,003 Posts
Any numbers on the head can be discounted,it's the numbers on the block that are important.:)

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
the Dodge Ram can be had with a 6.5 litre straight-six turbodiesel.
I'll grant you, though, that these were/are not such high-revving engines, and major mostly on vast amounts of torque (Ram about 750 lb/ft at 1600 rpm).
now theres a tow car for donald

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys

Well the pics are here! (Heh, I developed them myself :d)

This is a general picture of the engine:

To the left of what looks like a blanked oil cap is this:

Clearly shows 3.2! I'm sure both volvo and renault wouldn't just chuck any old head/rocker cover in would they? :confused: :crazy:

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hi guys

Well the pics are here! (Heh, I developed them myself :d)

This is a general picture of the engine:

To the left of what looks like a blanked oil cap is this:

Clearly shows 3.2! I'm sure both volvo and renault wouldn't just chuck any old head/rocker cover in would they? :confused: :crazy:
Doesn't it say 'S.2'?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No thats just the angle I took the photo at. I can assure you it does say 3.2

If you open the picture (click it, in the new window maximise it and take a close look) you can see it is actually 3.2

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
That is cast into the rocker cover it is most likely just a version code IE version 3 revision 2 whatever

I fitted a renault v6 into my peugeot 406 the numbers are different on various parts that are car specific but engine is the same
Peugeot and renault have different names for them but they are the same

thermostat housing was different and the water pipes were routed differently but that was about it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts