Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I am new here, but have a problem also.

Last week pressing the Auto button on the climate control had no effect on starting up the heater system (it was set to 20°C on both sides. The fan refused to work at all. Warm air was "wafting" in and then the "Service" indicator came on the Amber LCD display after half a mile or so. hitting the manual controls had no effect either, changing fan speed by hand also did nothing to start the blower.

having stopped and parked the car, I left it locked for about half an hour. I then got bak in to drive home and just hit the manual "in your face" button to start the heater and it worked.
Hitting the auto button however stops the heater again, UNLESS the fan is on full speed!!.

Over the last few days the heater has not worked at all despite trying all sorts of combinations of buttons....what is going on?
I have a feeling that the Climate control panel is a fault, as the fan works well on the odd occasion that it actiualy switched on.

I had the A/C re-gassed back in August, and it actually still produces "wafts" of cold air without the blower working!!

anyone have any ideas...or maybe a spare Phase 2 Climate panel unit? Will a Phase 1 unit work in there?

Any help would be good before the frost arrives.

Regards

K6dude

·
Registered
44 Posts
Climate/heater malfunction

I had this problem with a 1998 VW Passat. The fault was worn brushes in the fan motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection between the blower fan speed controller (part of the climate control panel) and the blower motor itself. I have never had this problem with any of my four Safranes but in my experience of Safrane electrical problems generally it is very likely to be the connector plug on the back of the controller. (probably just needs a bit of a wiggle).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your reply. This seems like a grey area for most owners of Safranes, so any help is very welcome.
i have so far ruled out the fan unit and the control panel (both work in another safrane ok), so logic says that you must have the right idea!

Regards and thanks

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem wit my blower. turned out to be the wiring block situated under the passenger airbag. the wires had fused together and needed pulling apart and insulating

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
I had a somewhat similar issue a few days ago but slightly different. Basically the fan blower was fine BUT for some reason the temperature kept dropping suddenly. The only way to get it going again was to set it to Max on the passenger side. For some reason the driver side controls wouldn't work and stayed about 3 degrees cooler thn the passenger side. As soon as the passenger side was turned down, my driver side went down to.

Odd... but there we go!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Just an answer to one of your questions: the unit from the phase 1 will fit onto the phase 2, but you will not have the button for heated front windscreen.

I have a phase 1 unit that I bought off eBay by mistake, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Searching for an off-side front wing. As the result of a lump of metal getting trapped between wheel and wheel arch, the metal won over the glassfibre wing! Trying to track down a wing (the Vel Satis at Autobreakers Preston has already been taken) anyone know of any other Vel Satis's being broken?

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
No offence but why didn't you put a 'wanted' topic in the market place? - What does a vel satis wing have to do with a safrane climate control? :confused:

Try a new thread in the marketplace forums - you'll probably have far better luck. The vel satis is a rare car though, I doubt many breakers even seen one...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry! Not sure what happened. I was in The 'Other models' 'Vel Satis' thread one minute, then, when I presses Post Quick Reply in noticed I was tagged onto the end of 'Safrane thread'. Maybe a cat walked over my keyboard. At least it was still in the same family.

·
Registered
60 Posts
help urgently needed

does anybody have any information on how to get to the heater motor on the 2.5 safrane located below the passenger airbag, looking for fixing positions etc to enable me to repair the wifes heater!!!!

thanks

keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 1997 2.0l Safrane and the blower motor doesn't work, when i stripped it down some of the tabs on the motor connector block had melted plastic around them, Stupid question i know but is the fan likely to be knackered or will my problem be something else?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hi, you may have sorted your fault by now. But, if not: If the heater fan speed unit gives up it can cause the fan motor to only work on its highest setting (straight through unregulated voltage). If the motor itself is on its way out, the wiring can get quite hot and the plastic connectors sometimes melt. Try re-wiring the connector to see if it helps. Heater motor speed control units are a common fault on a lot of Renaults as are dodgy wiring loom connections. Corrrosion on the connector can also cause a heat build up and plug failure/meltdown!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, you may have sorted your fault by now. But, if not: If the heater fan speed unit gives up it can cause the fan motor to only work on its highest setting (straight through unregulated voltage). If the motor itself is on its way out, the wiring can get quite hot and the plastic connectors sometimes melt. Try re-wiring the connector to see if it helps. Heater motor speed control units are a common fault on a lot of Renaults as are dodgy wiring loom connections. Corrrosion on the connector can also cause a heat build up and plug failure/meltdown!
First question, what position do the connections want to be on for this?
Second, will the fan then run at full speed?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts