Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
Had a nightmare,bought a Renault Master dci 100 2.5 extra hi top van in very good condition for money, great body,really tidy, seats mint etc, yesterday knowing it had no 1st gear, absolute bargain due to but big problems driving back from my sisters last night.
Van was driving lovely, would start on the button, no smoke at all, I was very happy with, my campervan dreams had begun after years of planning and dreaming of.
I hadn't tested its performance on the return journey of buying so put its through its paces gently coming to n to motorway last night and actually dropped to 4th when on empty mway and wanted to see how it pulled and then a really bad rattling started and power ceased pulled over and woukdnt crank. It nit ally thought cam belt he's lied to me but it wasn't it was new as told, aux belt OK.
Had to leave on motorway as hadn't had chance to take out aa etc and was quickly impounded within an hour ***128543;, had delivered today at a cost of £240. Never mind she's home.
Battery was flat from leaving hazards on and have no charger so whipped onto my car and put enough in to start my car but haven't transferred back yet as not enough to crank van as my car battery fitted to van just made a click noise and think not enough to turn starter, but wouldn't turn last night when had power .
So has anybody any idea please? Was no smoke out of the back, jyst a proper heavy tappety / heavy ticking / like chain slapping sound. Cambelt / aux belts OKs. No water in oil.No leakage under van of anything.
Have taken cambelt cover off, excuse my naivety but is there a way of turning to check by hand.
If worse case scenario and engines shot can I fit a more powerful lump without issues?
Sorry for essay, heads in bits and woukdnt mind some form of a heads up before battery charger turns up next week,could a smashed gear cog affect things?
TIA... ***128077;

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,551 Posts
Dont put a battery on.. You should be able to turn the engine off Crank pulley bolt,
Check the timing First, because its a new belt does not mean its not slipped.
If you can turn the engine, just bear in mind, at certain points you will have compression, once it gets on the compression stroke, wait, and you will be able to carry on turning..
If at any time it " locks " or feels like it's locked,, Then its delve further in, and check cam to crank timing.

Cam shaft grooves need to be vertical, and to get at crank shaft locking point its through the top bolt holding the oil filter housing on..
Set the mark thats on the inner part of the crankshaft pulley AT 6: 0'clock

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for help and input pal. Woke feeling very disheartened and glum about, 'll get under her in a little bit and try and turn but must admit if it has slipped ill scrap engine and buy a whole lump with gearbox, seem to be some good deals out there or might buy a spares or repair with good engine & gearbox and strip and try and get money back.
Once again cheers for help. ***128077;***128077;***128077;

1 - 3 of 3 Posts