Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm struggling to find some straight answers for my carminat tomtom system and cd player in my 2011 Renault Megane III dinamique tomtom. My car came with an old fashioned composite connection (red and white) instead of an normal auxiliary port. Now my question is that if i would like to change the red and white composite connection to a normal aux/usb port, or would leave these red and white ports intact and change just cd player with a Renault oem cd player with integrated usb port, i would have to change the navigation as well?? The point is that i need an usb port instead of the red and white audio connection and I don't know if i change any of these ( red and white audio input o an aux/usb port or cd player with a cd pkayer with usb connection) do i have to change navigation system as well? Thank you... :smile2::smile2::grin2:

Attachments

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
22,243 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm struggling to find some straight answers for my carminat tomtom system and cd player in my 2011 Renault Megane III dinamique tomtom. My car came with an old fashioned composite connection (red and white) instead of an normal auxiliary port. Now my question is that if i would like to change the red and white composite connection to a normal aux/usb port, or would leave these red and white ports intact and change just cd player with a Renault oem cd player with integrated usb port, i would have to change the navigation as well?? The point is that i need an usb port instead of the red and white audio connection and I don't know if i change any of these ( red and white audio input o an aux/usb port or cd player with a cd pkayer with usb connection) do i have to change navigation system as well? Thank you... :smile2::smile2::grin2:
There are kits out for the conversion but various ways of carrying this out but I can't recommend an actual one for your needs, suggest a Google search first

Your satnav is not affected by this if you do carry out the conversion

One thing I can't understand is that my 2010 Scenic is fitted with USB and your Megane a later model is not?

By the way Welcome to the forum, you might get a more positive answer to your problem from a better informed member:wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately yes. My Megane is from 11/11but instead of the usb/aux port beneath of cd player (next to the cup holder) is an old fashioned composite connection which in satnav is stated as AUX... I'm the second owner, so the first owner she was an old lady and I'm quite positive that she didn't need an usb... And regarding the Google search, I've tried already but no such topics or anything what would be helpful. I will try Renault service for the second time, because first time they wasn't helpful at all...

I have that cable as well... But lots of engine noise in the speakers. I've tried as well with a grounding loop connected to the aux/rca cable but same. Really poor quality with lots of different noises. And volume low.... I also bought a Bluetooth fm transmitter, but still not satisfied.

I already bought an Bluetooth/usb fm transmitter but sound quality it's unbelievable low... Thx anyway :)

I do have a Bluetooth but it's specially designed for phone calls. For example if i connect my mobile phone trough the Bluetooth signal, and i boot up my music library, the sound and volume trough the speaker are only manageable trough the phones volume buttons and the sound quality is really really poor. No bass at all.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
As DD says, you cannot interchange USB and Aux inputs, as they are designed to do different things.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Bluetooth connection on my 2011 Renault works fine, and loads the media on my devices (Phone/iPad) no problem. But there is a big difference between USB and Aux in car audio systems. Basically USB "reads" the file list and Aux inputs the processed sound stream.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some phones and MP3 players might output audio signals via USB connection, but most come with a standard headphone jack for this purpose (note there is also a difference between headphone and line outputs which needs to be considered if you choose this route).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]USB is a digital connection that transfers digital information (with a USB connection the head unit decodes, processes and amplifies the data), and aux input is an analogue connection that expects an analogue audio signal (i.e. only capable of taking in an already processed signal). If you can’t plug a set of headphones into a device, then you can’t connect that device to your head unit’s auxiliary input either.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Music on a USB flash drive or phone is stored as a compressed digital file. This is passive storage media only and feeding it into an aux input will not do anything. The head unit must be capable of reading that data, then processing and amplifying it. Since most phones and MP3 players aren’t specifically designed to output sound via their USB connection nothing will happen if you attempt to connect to the analogue input of your radio.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]USB to aux cables do have some uses such as connecting USB headphones to the 3.5mm headphone jack on a computer, if the headphones are designed to accept an analogue audio signal. Also as stated above, a few phones are capable of outputting sound via the USB connection, but only in these cases will a USB to aux cable work properly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think if you really need to load your playlists into the car audio system you will need a head unit that is designed for this purpose with a digital input and decoder for MP3 and other music file formats.
[/FONT]

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,785 Posts
Our Clio also has same set up as you ..no USB ..but the bluetooth works well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts