Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help please guys :eek:

My car still has the original exhaust on it - i think (i've never changed it and i've owned it since 2002!). I need to find out if my exhaust system is likely to be in one piece for replacement, does anyone remember changing an original on a coupe?

Secondly, it looks as if only my back box is affected. The outer of the box has been corroded for a while, but no humming was coming from the back box so decided to continue until it got worse - which it did today. The outer of the box is now hanging down and its only gonna take one speed hump to knock the outer shell off the back box - is that the stage when it will need replacement?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SB, can you not get the pipe cut and just a back box fitted even if the original is one piece?
Not sure - i'm hoping so. Gonna get under tonight and take a better look.

Can anyone else say if the above is an option?

D

·
0 Posts
SB, have you tried G,F&S (German,French & Swedish) or euro parts ? they stock a whole heap of exhausts both whole and parts, then find a friendly garage to cut and weld it.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
It may be worth going to your local exhaust fitting centre.
Cutting the original and putting a joint in could well lead to a problem in the future with leaks etc.
You may find it is just as cheap and easy to get the exhaust replaced as one piece. That way you get a gaurantee as well.
In my experience if the whole exhaust is the same age, and you replace the rusty part, the remaining part is now the "weakest link" and probably wont last much longer.
As long as it is not a lot more expensive I would personally get the whole length of exhaust replaced back to the nearest joint, which may be the catalyst.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for advice guys - keep them ideas coming. Gonna do a bit of ringing around for prices. I believe Liverpool Exhaust Services (LES) are quite reasonable :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Oh my back box is gone

Hi Pinklady - that price sounds quite good. In my experience the back box is usually first to go as it catches most of the road dirt, salt and water. If the rest of the system is weak the company fitting it will let you know - they never miss a chance to make a bigger sale.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Rear Exhaust

Of course there's speedbumps here she lives - she just does'nt race over them - she does what they're suposed to do - slow you down and her car probably isn't lowered either.:d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think i've done quite well to get 8 years out of the same system :)
My Dad always used to say that the original system would be longer-lasting than any replacement (mainly because people tend to buy on price and only replace small sections). If you plan to keep the car for some years - it may be worthwhile getting a quote for an O.E. system.

P.S. my Scorpio is 12 years old (132,500 miles), and still on the original full system - so his theory holds water;)

P.P.S. The reason the rearmost section usually fails first, is because the exhaust gases are coolest there - condensation from the combustion cycle accumulates, and the steel rots from the inside out - it is most commonplace on cars which are used primarily for short journeys.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you not have speedbumps in the pool then SB?
I'm sure Liverpool was one of the first places to get them, given it had the highest rates of joyriding a number of years ago! But i always lived in posh parts (yeh right! :rofl:)

I suppose i have been lucky, and I don't go over them too cautiously, but you get to know the same ones and judge them as best you can.

However! The outside of my back box (which was hanging down) must have hit a speedbump on my way home as it was gone by the time we took a look, and dad reckons the box itself is fine for another month or so - result! :d

At least i now know it can be pieced if i can't manage to get the cash together for a full system ;)

Thanks for advice guys - i'm sure i'll be re-reading this thread in the not too distant future :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi sb my espace had to get a new back box last week but i did it myself it was the orignal that was on the car in 2 pieces its now in 3 pieces after the manufactors one is done thats how they sell it at motor factor outlets it cost me around £45 with brackets and paste i hope you get sorted out and not ripped off all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi sb my espace had to get a new back box last week but i did it myself it was the orignal that was on the car in 2 pieces its now in 3 pieces after the manufactors one is done thats how they sell it at motor factor outlets it cost me around £45 with brackets and paste i hope you get sorted out and not ripped off all the best Donald
Thanks Donald, i found a motor factors a few minutes away from where i work who will sell me the back box for £40 which was bearable. And if it goes in the not too distant future as i suspect, then i will have to have it pieced (mortgage payments are a bit of a cripple when you're used to paying half it only in rent :()

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thanks Donald, i found a motor factors a few minutes away from where i work who will sell me the back box for £40 which was bearable. And if it goes in the not too distant future as i suspect, then i will have to have it pieced (mortgage payments are a bit of a cripple when you're used to paying half it only in rent :()
Cars and money go well together:mad: have you settled in to your new wee hoosy.I know were your coming from todays life is just money money money:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts