Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car into the garage today as I was having another key programmed (only had the one which was slightly on the blink). When they had done they had told me they'd done a complimentary wash (good stuff, I was meaning to wash it down as the alloys were covered in filth from where I replaced the break pads last weekend), and a complimentary once over to identify any problems.

So the guy tells me that my nearside front suspension is broken and would fail an MOT. Funny I said, seeing as I had it MOT'ed only a week before. No comeback to that one (I know it could have gone since then but since getting it back home I've checked and it's perfectly fine).

Next one apparently that my brake discs are 'worn to excess'. In my slow mind for some reason I though of the brake discs as the brake pads as I had replaced them the weekend before (the car failed on having just under the legal minimum left) and so said 'funny that, as they were replaced last weekend'. So he goes on to say that my old brake pads brushing against my new disc would wear it down to what it is now (in the space of a week and < 100 miles no less) and offered to replace both the pads and discs...

Needless to say I won't be getting it serviced there.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi there is and are many scammers out there i have went to the same garage right from the word go and it was said to me by many people that were friends and family that he did indeed come highly recommended once you find that garage stick with it as after time you will indeed build up a rapport with them and all will be fine,i hope this helps all the best Donald.

My Garage in Dunfermline in Fife,Scotland is

"Ian Browns" Garage and i highly recommend his work for anyone in and around the Dunfermline Area

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Aye, there's plenty chancers out there that think folk will just agree to having things replaced without asking any questions. I always ask them to leave any old parts they replace in the car or I won't be paying the bill.
I know some techs are just covering their @rse so if the car has any probs after they've been working on it at least they've reported any potential faults. I'm an ex motor mechanic myself, but have been away from the trade for a number of years, and I can remember the law changing where if there were any probs then the buck no longer stops with the garage - it stops at the tech who's done the work.
As Donald says find a garage you trust and stick with them.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
MY Renault dealer tried to scam me, said I needed 4 new discs and all new brake pads, I did not need any of these, I went back to the same dealer 2 weeks later and they told me I needed 1 new brake disc, I asked why the other 3 had miraculously repaired themselves, there was just embarrassed silence.

Read the link by lagdti your not the only one

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Think you should name and shame the garage in question!!
Ideally, yes, but it's against forum rules. The ridiculously outdated UK libel laws mean that the forum's owners could be held liable for any libellous comments made by any of the members.

Stupid, but then when UK's judges have to take time out to have 'The Internet' explained to them, it's hardly surprising.

O

·
0 Posts
No libel case to be answerwed here the garage broke the law NOT the customer.

Tom
So you say!

That's the point, just because somebody types something it doesn't make it true. Don't get me wrong, I don;t for one minute think that SiD is making this up but unless you are giving me a million quid fighting fund I'm not getting into a legal battle with anybody :moonie:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
No libel case to be answerwed here the garage broke the law NOT the customer.
But without absolute proof (and opinion is not sufficient) you would have no defence if the dealer did decide to sue for libel damages. In UK law, someone who is charged with libel is effectively guilty until proven innocent. As the forum's owners can be held responsible for the allegedly libellous comments, they'd have to be in posession of proof that the dealer had acted exactly as described and had attempted to rip off the customer. I suspect even the OP only has his memory of the conversation to go on, and nothing is there in writing to back up his story.

Chances are, no action would ever be taken - the garage would only be causing more trouble for itself with the negative publicity generated by the case. But you can't blame the site's owners for wanting to cover their backsides.

·
Registered
14 Posts
dealer knowledge.....

The Clio 1.4 had the toxic light come on 2 months ago.
Went to the dealers, they wanted 270 to diagnose and change the lambda sensor.

I did it myself and the warning light went out.

Anyway 2 months later and its back on.

so off to the dealers, and they say it the lambda sensor again.
I said I've changed it already.
They asked which one I changed.
I could only see one to change. Is there more than one on a 2003 1.4 clio?

Anyway, they want 270 to change it again, and when I said I don't think its the lambda, so what happens if its not?
Do I get my money back or off the next bit you think it is?
answer: er not sure sir.

argh...:mad:

I feel its very very strange that 2 o2 sensors in the car would fail in 3 months.

I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yes there are two Lambda sensors on all EOBD equipped petrol cars,one before the cat and one after it(commonly known as upstream and downstream).

It is quite possible that the other one is faulty or the cat is faulty(causing the same fault),especially if you have had any ignition coils replaced recently.

If you post your query in the electronics section of the forum it will have a larger audience and other people will add their thoughts.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts