Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only owned my Laguna for 2 weeks having purchased it second hand. It has been running beautifully up until yesterday. I was travelling south on the M1 at a steady 80 mph in the outside lane in the process of overtaking a slower vehicle when all of my dashbord warning lights lit up, the dials zeroed and the engine cut. As you can imagine, this was a very unpleasant experience. I managed to coast over to the hard shoulder and stop. I released the keycard by pushing the stop button, waited a minute and re-inserted the card. Nothing happened. It was a full 15 minutes later that the electrics came back to life. Fortunately I got the rest of the 30 miles back home. Has anyone ever experienced the same thing? If so did you find out what caused it? It has happened again 3 times but luckily I was only local. The Renault dealership is unable to look at it for at least 9 days as they are fully booked so if anyone has any information I would be extremely grateful.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums.

That must've been a very nerve-wracking experience. Thankfully I haven't had anything like that, but you say its happened 3 times since then - are there any similar factors (i.e. speed, engine rpm, etc)? This is all information which will help to identify the source of the failure, which sounds most likely to be electrical in nature.

I would be quite reluctant to continue using the car whilst this problem remains - what the insurance implications is enough of an arguement - what the implications are for my well-being should convince the most ardent risk-taker.

Are there no other Renault dealers in your area?

Personally speaking, I wouldn't wait that long - most auto electricians have diagnostic equipment (check before booking), and I'd have them carry out some tests in the meantime.

Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Like Chris says id ring RCS and explain that you cannot use the car for safety reasons and that you need it looking at quicker than 9 days that will take you up to the bank holiday so if it aint a quick fix you might not have the car till 5th June at the earliest. Tell them you need it for a reason (make something up just tell a little fib even).

Hope you get it sorted quickly, let us know the outcome please.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scary Event

Thank you for your very kind replies. I will contact RCS and inform them of the delay in getting a dealer to look at the vehicle. I was looking forward to a quite bank holiday and it looks like I will be getting one :crazy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Further Events

I took the advice so kindly given and contacted RCS. They were extremely helpful and actually made an appointment with a Renault service centre for me the same day which I duly attended with vehicle. For the princely sum of £200 they diagnosed my vehicle with a faulty ignition card reader which was replaced within the hour and I duly set off having thanked the Renault guys profusely for getting me out of a dangerous situation. I drove away with a smile on my face until 5 miles on when exactly the same thing happened again! Obviously not the card reader!! I waited the obligatory 15 minutes before starting the vehicle and gingerly drove it home without recurrence of the problem. (That was last Friday). One telephone call to the service centre later and it's booked in on Tuesday morning for a longer period of diagnostics (hopefully without further expense). In my humble opinion, and I am no mechanic believe me! the problem lies with the ignition module within whatever ECU controls that function, if there is one. The fault causes an event that mimics the ignition being turned off and even though I described that in detail to the service engineers it seems that they missed it. I will continue the saga after the next diagnosticsfest and report what the exact problem is, always assuming it is found! On a positive note there is now a warning symbol on the dash display panel. No prizes for guessing that it translates as an electronics problem!! :crazy:

S

·
0 Posts
Let's hope you get sorted out. Generally, any dealer (regardless of make) so reliant on diagnostic equipment will only ever treat the code they get of the ECU. Gone are the days (or so it seems) when they will actually play around and see if they can spot what's going on... :(

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
I took the advice so kindly given and contacted RCS. They were extremely helpful and actually made an appointment with a Renault service centre for me the same day which I duly attended with vehicle. For the princely sum of £200 they diagnosed my vehicle with a faulty ignition card reader which was replaced within the hour and I duly set off having thanked the Renault guys profusely for getting me out of a dangerous situation. I drove away with a smile on my face until 5 miles on when exactly the same thing happened again! Obviously not the card reader!! I waited the obligatory 15 minutes before starting the vehicle and gingerly drove it home without recurrence of the problem. (That was last Friday). One telephone call to the service centre later and it's booked in on Tuesday morning for a longer period of diagnostics (hopefully without further expense). In my humble opinion, and I am no mechanic believe me! the problem lies with the ignition module within whatever ECU controls that function, if there is one. The fault causes an event that mimics the ignition being turned off and even though I described that in detail to the service engineers it seems that they missed it. I will continue the saga after the next diagnosticsfest and report what the exact problem is, always assuming it is found! On a positive note there is now a warning symbol on the dash display panel. No prizes for guessing that it translates as an electronics problem!! :crazy:
i would have driven it straight back to the garage and told them to take another look.

Hope you get it sorted soon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The final result

I did exactly that after they charged me £200 for changing the ignition card reader which is what they said was at fault. It turned out that it wasn't and that there were 3 loose ignition wire connections on one of the ECU's so I created a real fuss, demanded my money back and threatened to take the facts to my local rag and inform Renault Customer Services of the inadequate diagnostics I had received. Amazingly they refunded my money, left the new reader in place and apologised profusely :devil: Now that was service!!! Oh! the car runs a sweet as I could want now!

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
thats what I would call a result....amazing what a few choice words and threats can do.....well done

1 - 10 of 10 Posts