Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.6 02 Scenic has an intermittent starting problem; occasionally nothing happens when you turn the ignition key (except that the dash lights come on). If I keep trying eventually the car starts. It can be when the engine is cold or warm. If I lock/unlock the car to try again, I sometimes notice 4 beeps and odd flashings from the red immobiliser light on the dash, though don't know if this is a red herring! I'd be most grateful for any advice before I take it to the garage (again).
I've seen some mention of this kind of problem but I wondered if anyone had a definitive answer that I can pass on to my Renault dealer. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
First thing to check is that there is a good contact at the battery. Usually the earth working loose. (There is sufficient voltage to make the light work but insufficient for the starter) Usually the offending connection will get hot.
Next, the connection on the starter motor.
Finally the ignition switch.
Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine done this, rac came out, removed one spark plug lead and it started...but may have been coincidence, he then removed cam sensor, cleaned it and it has been fine ever since

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if you have solved the problem but I had a problem with my previous Clio (2001 model) that sounds very similar. Even from new there were occasions when nothing happened when the key was turned - although after between 10 and 20 attempts it usually started fine. It was very occasional which made taking it back to the dealer pointless :( . Just before the warranty expired at three years I did ask them to look into it as it was getting more frequent and they diagnosed a faulty immobiliser transponder (possibly the wrong word, my memory is vague) - i.e. the part in the steering column that recognises the key and switches off the immobiliser. They dismantled the steering column and replaced various parts.

The problem still persisted and got more frequent :steam: so I also called out the RAC in desperation one morning when the car wouldn't start. The mechanic also suspected the immobiliser and spend about 3 hours trying to bypass it. In the end, he gave up and suggested taking it back to the dealer. He was about to leave when he had a final thought that we were all blaming the wrong part. He went back to basics and got me to turn the key while he thumped the starter motor...and the engine burst into life. In the end it turned out to be a sticking starter motor! I drove around for a while with a hammer and chisel until Renault managed to replace the starter motor. After that...no problems at all :d .

A long story, but retold as the source of the problem was totally missed (and would have been expensive in my case if the car was out of warranty).

My suggestion...if it is still happening, try hitting the starter motor while someone turns the ignition. It may be the same problem. Then again, it may not....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much! In fact, I've just had a electrics man check it over and he's telling me the same thing - dodgy starter motor! I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had exactly the same problem but with out any immobiliser lights flashing. Turned out to be worn and dirty ignition switch.
The problem is the robbing Renault dealer want £160 for a new lock barrel, ignition switch and wire loom because they don't sell the switch seperatley.
I think i'll have to get a used one and take the chance.
I know one thing though, i'm NEVER going to buy a Renault again, worst car i've ever had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts