Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for advice as we don't have the owners handbook and there are differrent opinions on which oil to use.

Its a 1998 DT or DTI, i do not know which as they changed engine type in Feb 98 and ours was made end of February!

I am sure 5w40 is the right oil, but a mechanic friend said to use 10w40, confusing, so should i use Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40 or Magnatec 10w40?

Am i right in thinking the oil filter is a Fram PH5976?

thanks

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,268 Posts
i saw Magnatec 10w40 in asda at £16 yesterday if thats what you end up with be careful as many are starting to sell 4ltr cans and if you dont look you think its a 5ltr can
Ron

·
Registered
43 Posts
Am i right in thinking the oil filter is a Fram PH5976[/FONT]

Don't worry bout part numbers. That filter can be made by loads of different companies. It is the standard filter for most of the Renault range. The only filter to look out for is the clio one.
Any way, back to business , the oil you want is 10w40. I would be carefull where to get your oil. I would advise finol, elf, gulf or mobile 1. The cheaper the oil the poorer the quality. You dont eat dodgy food, so why give dodgy oil to an engine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am i right in thinking the oil filter is a Fram PH5976[/FONT]

Don't worry bout part numbers. That filter can be made by loads of different companies. It is the standard filter for most of the Renault range. The only filter to look out for is the clio one.
Any way, back to business , the oil you want is 10w40. I would be carefull where to get your oil. I would advise finol, elf, gulf or mobile 1. The cheaper the oil the poorer the quality. You dont eat dodgy food, so why give dodgy oil to an engine
Interesting, is there anything wrong with Castrol Magnatec?

I assume Synthetic not part=synthetic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.