Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi first time on a forum daughter has a renault scenic 1.4 2002 37,000 miles had new timing belt fitted due to snapped belt, its come back from the garage and wont tick over and when it dose its about 450/500 rpm garage said its the ecu and it will reset back to normal after a couple of weeks, been 3 weeks still doing it? 2 part question is the garage talking rubbish and/or what is the problem/cure many thanks in advance peter

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that the timing is one tooth out on one of the camshafts, its easily done if the correct camshaft locking tool was not used,

OR

Is the idle air control valve still connected and secure, its the one near to the throttle body, circular in shape.

Never heard of the ecu resetting itself after a snapped belt.

Oh BTW welcome to the forum!
:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi thanks for reply, further info if it helps, when we went to collect the car it started & ticked over fine, while i was paying for the repair, engine suddenley started to rev very high ? mechanic came out with some tech stuff and said come back in an hour. when we collected car thats when it wouldent tick over, if i rev it upto about 2,000rpm and let my foot of pedal slowly it ticks over around 550rpm, if you just turn the key it starts then cuts out instantley, daughters just came home and said its juddering at junctions ect ? iam going round to see him today... me thinks we are going to have words.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good news seems to have worked took it out jiggled it and pluged it back in, hey presto ticking over aprox 750rpm white line between 500 1000? also noticed that the throttle cable, rubber bung was hanging loose refitted that took it for test drive and working great no cutting out or juddering at junctions, daughters going to run it for a day or so to make sure everything stays the same any how many thanks for all your help and advice will certainley be using this forum again. regards peter

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Pleased to hear its sorted Peter,

So i was half right then!

The garage should of known it was the IACV, the symptons you described were a classic example of it being faulty or not connected.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi would of thought garaged should know but seems what they dont know they make up lol still alls well that ends well, mind you had i not fitted a fan belt from euro-parts bloody cheap rubber which shreded after 2 days and went behind the bottom flywheel causing timing to jump... £600 bill. then every one says dident you fit a bosch or a gates nag nag erm no! iam a joiner.... oh hind sight is a wonderfull thing
having said that i have a 1.9dci with warning light on had it tested no faults found cant reset it runs great so just left it. reanult want £160 just to reset it, i dont think so lol thanks again for advice/help regards peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.