Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being quoted nearly £600 by Renault, I have decided to do this myself......I have bought all the stuff from GSF car parts including the kit for locking cams and crankshaft pin.

My question is, why do I need to remove the crankshaft sprocket, will the belt not just pull off here once the tensioner has been removed ?

Also there is a second smaller pin in the toolkit I have bought, it is not threaded, it is just a plain pin and I can find no mention of it in the Haynes manual......any ideas what this is for ?

In terms of timing, I imagine that as long as the cams are locked and I get someone to ensure the crankshaft is held against the stop pin with by keeping a pressure on the crankshaft bolt with a ratchet, then I should be OK to fit the belt in this condition .

This job is for next weekend and so any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

You don't need to remove the crankshaft sprocket,but it is a good idea as it needs to be completely de-greased.There is no key way to locate the sprocket so it is only held in place by the clamping force of the crank pulley/damper and it's bolt.This is the one thing that people get wrong on these engines and if it's not fully understood then engine damage will occur.

I would think about changing the dephaser pulley at the same time,also the water pump.

I suspect the locking kit you have has the crank pin for the 1.8 and 2.0 engines too,from memory that is a straight pin with no thread on it as opposed to the threaded one used on the 1.4 and 1.6 engines.

It is definately worth checking out all the info on here before attempting the belt,there are a few pit falls with the job.You need a cambelt kit that includes blanking plugs in the back of the head and a crankshaft pulley bolt.The bolt should never be reused,it also needs careful torquing to ensure that it doesn't come undone.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

R

·
0 Posts
I suspect the locking kit you have has the crank pin for the 1.8 and 2.0 engines too,from memory that is a straight pin with no thread on it as opposed to the threaded one used on the 1.4 and 1.6 engines.

:iagree:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.......I wasn't going to bother with water pump - car is six years old with only 32000 miles, but reading the forums, it makes sense to do at the same time.

I am hoping not to have to slacken the camshaft sprockets.......I would hope that they can stay unadjusted and give the right tension of the belt between them.....is that the usual or is it more likely that I will have to adjust them ?

cheers again for all the comments.....I will update as to how I got on next weekend.BTW the GSF guys have given me a fan belt which is too narrow they said my car was just about when the changes happened, so will have to go back with this, does this give any ideas whether I have the k4n or a different engine ?

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks guys.......I wasn't going to bother with water pump - car is six years old with only 32000 miles, but reading the forums, it makes sense to do at the same time.
You can check for play and feel that the bearing is still nice and smooth before deciding wether to change the pump or not as it only done such a low milage.

I am hoping not to have to slacken the camshaft sprockets.......I would hope that they can stay unadjusted and give the right tension of the belt between them.....is that the usual or is it more likely that I will have to adjust them ?
You don't need to slacken the cam shaft sprockets if just replacing the timing belt though it can make it easier to re time the engine if you do some times. But you have got absolutley no chance what so ever of getting the engine timed correctly with out using a TDC setting pin and cam shaft locking tool. You are likely to be heading for a set of bent valves if your not careful. You have the 1.6 K4M engine in your Scenic most of the cam locking kits have 2 TDC pins so that you can set the 1.4 K4J, !.6 K4M, 1.8 F4P & 2.0 F4R 16 valve engines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for all the comments, danthevan deserves a special thanks for his write up posted with the images !

I do have the timing tool kit and provided it doesn't rain this weekend, it will be my first cam belt change !

Thanks again - Paul

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Just be sure to rotate the engine by hand before you hit the button to start it, to make sure it is all ok

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts