Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone hoping for some help please.
I'm new here so hope you guys dont mind me picking your brains.
Over the last few days we have experienced a fault on our car where the glow plug light illuminates coupled with a decrease in power where the vehicle doesnt seem to want to go over about 3000 revs. The fault usually lasted 30 seconds or then went back to normal.

Today however the fault re-occurred without the light coming on and was severe enough for the vehicle to slow to a crawl up hill. Weirdly the glow plug light came on occassionally and I then had a power increase to around 3000 revs again but now coupled with thick black smoke.
The fault continued to deteriorate to the stage where even pulling away was tricky.

I stopped the car and started her up. She started no problem but when I put the throttle to the floor the revs didnt rise above tickover for a few seconds then slowly increased to around 2000 revs max.

I called the RAC. When the mechanic arrived he diagnoised poss EGR valve or air flow sensor.

He removed the EGR valve which was coked up so he cleaned, checked operation and refitted but the symptoms were unchanged. He then unplugged the Air flow sensor and we tried to drive it but to be honest it was dangerous so we recovered it home. Forgot to add that it had 2 faults showing on his pc and they were 61 - pre-heater plugs circuit and 19 - air flow sensor circuit

The only other info I can offer is that with the air flow sensor unplugged it will rev to around 4000 revs but still rises slowly.

Any advice/ ideas would be brilliant. Praying for a cheap easy fix!

Thanks Stuart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick update.
I have taken the EGR valve out and given it a good clean, all seems to be good there.
The car will only rev to 2000 revs, but when I unplug MAF sensor it will reluctantly rev to 3500.
The fault code says its the MAF valve but I'm ot convinced and just been quoted £130 plus vat for one!
Any help would be great.
Thank you
Stu

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the engine start easily?
Does the engine idle correctly?
Has the inlet system been checked for excess oil?
Does the engine use oil?
Hi thanks very much for replying. Engine starts fine and idles fine.
Just checked oil and it isnt low but it is black and smells odd, maybe a burnt smell or of diesel.
Any thoughts?

Diesels are quite new for me and it appears black oil is normal. Maybe I'm just becomming paranoid!
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.