Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks :d
I`ve been searching for a new car & have spotted a good spec Scenic 1.9 120 bhp diesel in a local garage. I went for a test drive this morning & was underwhelmed with the performance & mostly the pulling away from a standstill in 1st gear. I tried it a few times & it was very dangerous IMO :( I was putting the car in 1st gear & when pulling away, even with my foot to the floor, there was a delay of at least 4 seconds before it actually accelerated rather than just gather some speed! I tried a 1.5 D & it was a different car!! far better engine & much more lively than the 1.9. Can anyone point out what is wrong with the car as it`s in a good colour & spec but dangerous to drive in the present condition. The salesman who didn`t come with me told me it was turbo lag. I`ve driven enough turbo cars both petrol & diesel to know what turbo lag feels like!

Any help much appreciated :d

Lee

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hi Big Lee, like you say that does not sound like turbo lag, once you got the car moving in 1st gear did it pull like it should do? What was it like in the other gears, the only think i can think of is that you either came of the clutch to quick with not enough gas on but i am guessing your a competent driving with you saying you have driven plenty of other turbo cars so i would say they maybe a problem with the car. Hopefully someone with a bit more technical expertise will be able to help you.
What sort of price, mileage, spec is the car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave

Thanks for the prompt reply!
I`ve been driving for the past 19 years, getting tired now! :rofl: , and have passed my IAM test and driven many cars with turbo`s fitted both petrol & diesel & this "lag" was scary :devil: I do expect a little lag, maybe 1 sec or so, but 4 secs to catch up when pulling out of a junction etc gets the adrenalin flowing a bit!! I did also notice no turbo whistle on the 1.9 but some on the 1.5 :confused:
The car is the top spec one, sorry can`t remember the name :eek: , & has full leather, 2 sunroofs, parking sensors rear and a towbar! It`s aubergine in colour, has 31k miles with one owner, 4 bald tyres, some scratches on the interior trim that also needs a very good clean for the princely sum of £1 less than £9k :d
My Mrs likes it as there`s loads of room for camping gear with 2 of the rear seats out & good visibility out for our 3 1/2 year old girl. oh, and trays to put her stuff on :rolleyes:

Lee

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Personally i think its a reasonable price for a top spec car, maybe worth check out autotrader and parkers for a value just to be sure, will they change the tyres if they are bald as that would cost anywhere upto £300s depending on what you get probably even more if you get top spec tyres. Might be worth trying to blag a test drive at another dealer who has the same car and engine, they maybe a bit of a hard sell but if this car is what you want it might be worth it for 30 mins ear ache from a salesman. I have the 120bhp and the only time i notice a bit of lag is if i am lazy and let the revs drop to 1200 or so but even that only takes 1 sec or so, so i guess 4 seconds is like waiting for the weekend to arrive specially if you pull out onto a fast road!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the price was quite good too, I actually saw the car on Autotrader last night so popped down today.
Does your car make any turbo whistle at all Dave? As I`m just about sure this one didn`t at all which I find unusual :confused: The salesman told me he`d book a mechanic to take it for a test drive to see what he thought & that would be some time early next week. As I was waiting for my wife to pick me up just down the road I did see said salesman take it far a little spin down the road himself. I might pop back in tomorrow to ask him what he thought of it! If I decided to go for it I`d try to knock cash off for the tyres as I prefer to put good ones on myself than let them put some no name 4 for £20 specials on!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Regarding the whistle yes mine does have a whistle as the revs rise and fall and you can also hear the blow off valve to but not like you would on a scooby etc, i have a couple of nice roads that are really quiet were i live and i like the 3rd gear on off throttle as i can hear it whoosh.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Dont have the blinging alloys or modded radio just standard, dont think the neons would look to good either on the bus!:d

Its just a nice piece of road were i can listen to make sure everything sounds as it should, its a new bit of tarmac with houses on both sides so you can hear the noises if any bounce of the walls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I`ve just been & saw the car again & had a chat with the salesman who said it was turbo lag :rofl: He told me that he had a drive in the car after I had left, which he did as I saw him, and did agree that there was something amiss with the car. He said he`d looked into it yesterday & the car was waiting for a part to be fitted & when I asked him which one he said the egr valve ( he was rather taken aback when I said " oh the gas recirc valve" :d :d ) That`ll be fitted early next week & I`ll have another go in it & am expecting a much better performing car!

·
Registered
23 Posts
We bought our 1.9dCi GS last month, and it is a little flat at the very bottom end (compared to a VW 1.9 TDI for example), but you are talking a second max before it climbs on boost and takes off. It's only when you get lazy that you notice it - in day to day driving it's not an issue. Once on boost, it feels unstoppable. Overall we are delighted with the performance.

There is a faint turbo whistle, but it's not always audible. I've always thought it's an odd sounding diesel engine this one. To me it sounds more like a badly pinking petrol engine than a traditional clattery diesel. There's no rumble or clatter, just this "tinkling" noise under load.

The price sounds good, although we found our 54 reg Grand Scenic Dynamique (with the panoramic roof, full keyless Renault Card and CD changer) for £8750 with 36k on the clock, and still under warranty for 6 mths. It was private tho'. £8995 is a great price from a dealer - when we were looking they seemed to want £10k for anything without starship miles on it.

Cheers
Postie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This one was woeful! I like the drive of a good turbo diesel with the effortless way you get the performance so I`m looking forward to driving this when it`s fettled. If it`s not amazingly better I`m going to ask for a drive of something else with the same engine be it a Megane, laguna or whatever as with 300ft lbs of torque , more than my 3 litre BMW, I`m expecting very good get up & go!! :d
Is there any way of checking on the car what BHP it has as I saw something on the net saying there is a 100 bhp Dci 1.9 engine too? This car is a 53 plate.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hi Lee, at a guess i would say its the 120bhp with a 6 speed box. If you go on confused.com and pretend to do a insurance quote and put in the registration details it might tell you as i have done similar before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea! I`ll have to get the reg no but it does have the 6 speed box & the salesman did say it was the 120 bhp version. But in the past I`ve been lied to by a Vicar when buying his car (True!!) so a used car salesman gets more than a pinch of salt ;)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Mine is an 04 with a 6 speed 120bhp spec and does average of 46mpg with a light foot which equates to 600 miles per tank. I have seen 57mpg but only doing 60mph for a good while. As you know in most diesels 1st gear comes and goes in a blink of a second, but its great in 2nd and 3rd gear plenty of torque.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, due to the fact no one wanted my beemer & the garage took 2 weeks to fit the part so they can`t want to sell cars :confused:
Ah well! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
dont do it man............scenic?............it aint hard and it aint clever........think about your street cred dude.............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts