Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought this info may be of some help if you ever come across it.

I have a 1997 Scenic 1.9 TD which I've owned for a couple of years. I took it in for a full service. I always take my cars to the same garage, the mechanic there is an excellent one. They are not a 'Dealership' for any particular make, they sell high quality cars and maintain them themselves.

Anyway, I was advised to have a new cambelt and auxilliary belt fitted which I accepted. I also had to have a new engine mounting, a rear wheel bearing and full renewal of the back brakes with cylinders. The total cost to me including parts was just over £700.00. I had to make a decision whether to keep the car or replace it at that price. I decided that if I bought another second hand car, I may have to have work done to it to bring it up to standard so I plumped for the work being done and to keep the Scenic, which I have been very happy with. Besides, it's getting on and the grandkids don't have to be too fussy with their milkshakes. :)

So, I picked up the car when it was finished and after driving it a few miles, I noticed that I was beginning to get a 'flat spot' on accelleration. It was fine before the service so I took it back, suspecting the timing may be amiss. The mechanic said the timing was fine and he put some additive in to see if it would clear the injectors and pump of any rubbish that may have inadvertantly got into the fuel system. That didn't work. At high revs, the car worked fine....for a while.

The next thing to happen was the fuel fault light appeared and it became even more sluggish. At that point, I was advised to have a proper diagnosis so I took it to an electrical place and they diagnosed a faulty potentiometer. That cost £110 and was fitted...total cost including diagnosis and fitting was £165.00. Hey presto, the car is as good as it was before.

The moral of this 'story' is that today's cars are so bloody electrical orientated that, although I have been a very good handyman myself with cars for over 50 years, I am a complete dummy now. I hunger for the old days when it was a simple task to diagnose faults, take the head off and do a 'decoke'. How times have changed! Not for the better in some ways. I could buy two brand new cars for £950 once upon a time. :crazy:

Hope this may help someone.

All the best,

MikeN.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Completly agree with you, it is all to do with global warming, the manufactures are ringing out every last bit of mpg they can get and making the exhaust gasses as clean as they can and we pay the price.

I think I'll get a Morris Minor for my next car.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts