Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wonder if someone might know if i have being quoted a good price for my 54K service:-

Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
New rear discs & Pads
MOT
and something else i cant remember?

All in for £340, is this good is there anything else on the list i should ask for?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ottoman will ring them and get this done too, will also mention about brake fluid he might do that anyway with him replacing rear disc and pads.

The guy at the garage reckons 18K between services is too long and recommended 6-9K to do just the oil change as it will keep the engine in best condition. What engine oil is best in my car? Does gearbox oil ever get changed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Hello, would advise getting the pollen filter done as well. I use a fully synthetic 5W40 engine oil in my Scenic. Price does not seem too bad to me, regards Damian. :) Also agree with oil changes sooner than 18K, i do mine at 4 - 6k !!
PS Did they say why it needed read discs and pads ??

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ive ask them to check rear discs and pads as Renault said last time it was in on a warrenty job that they needed doing and to be honest without stripping it all down, the discs look slightly rough around edges. Is pollen filter expensive?

Renault want
£ 39.61 for pads
£93.43 for discs
and if i buy before 31st March i will get 20% of so all in £106.32
Fitting is £127.

The parts aint to bad as i have been quote £125 from Waterloo which is a small parts company in Hull which i doubt will be Renault parts.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Genuine Pollen Filter is about £18+VAT, but i buy mine off Ebay. Parts prices for the Discs and Pads do not seem too bad for Genuine parts, how many miles has the vehicle done ? I would have thought that the rears pads and discs would last longer, just checked my front pads and discs, pads were about 50% worn, just coming up to 20k miles on my vehicle, regards Damian.
PS Did not look at the rear brakes, might have a look next week, just to be safe. :)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those parts where with 20% off but i just rang back and they said oh yes plus VAT!! So no real discount, i said any chance of doing cheaper and they got im off to pick them up for £109 all in. Then will get fitted at another local garge for £35.

£260 supplied and fitted at renault
£145 with parts at local garage, guess which one im going too!

Mileage is 53854 i have only had since 46K in May last year

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Ive ask them to check rear discs and pads as Renault said last time it was in on a warrenty job that they needed doing and to be honest without stripping it all down, the discs look slightly rough around edges. Is pollen filter expensive?

Dave, you say that Renault said they needed doing while it was in on a warranty job, should they not also be done under warranty (disks that is not pads)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I never asked, but to be fair its got 54K miles on i and the only reason the discs were due for changing was that the pads were wornout, had the pads been replace earlier then the discs would have been ok, they still maybe depends what the local garage says.

I have just got back for the Renault dealer £109 for both discs and pads. I might be lucky and find out that the discs are still ok, so would be able to get a refund.

How many miles would you expect out of front and rear discs approximately, i guess it depends how you drive, mine was a fleet car with 46K on just over 2 years old at time.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Fair enough, what you are saying is the disks have been damaged by lack of maintenance, I just couldnt understand why at 54k you needed new disks. Really they should last a lifetime it you dont let the pads wear down before changing them, not sure if you said you had the car from new or not, if not then not your fault just you have to pay for them.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Bought from a Independant for £7700 with 46K miles on it, at 25 months old, Renault wanted around the £10500 mark, but had less miles on, couldnt justifiy nearly £3000 more for a car with 20K miles less, plus i only do 8000 miles a year so if i keep it till car is 6 years old mileage should be around 78000 which brings the mileage done to around 13000 a year which is probably average, so they way i looked at it was i get a slightly higher mileage car, £3k cheaper but buy the time i sell it i should be looking at average money again, so hopefully wont have lost as much. Hope you get what im saying?????:crazy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts