Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have obtained a 97 Scenic RT Dt 1.9 and find the performance is appalling.
Starts and runs fine but there is no pull. I got this for my brother in law as a stop gap but am concerned that it will not carry him and his 3 kids up anything like a hill.
.This is the Dt not DTi.
There are no warning lights showing , no smoke and at idle the engine will rev up to max albeit quite slowly.
Are they all this slow or am i missing something as it struggles to get to 70 and is useless on hills.
Any advice would be useful as i don't normally do French cars.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
The 1.9 DT turbo diesel engine uses indirect diesel injection and uses rather old technology so performance will not be as good as a direct injection or common rail turbo diesel. Not sure if the 1.9 DT would have an EGR valve but if it does that may need a clean. Also the air filter may be blocked. What may help is a decent blast up a motorway and use a diesel injection cleaner may help.

Harry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that. I would give it a blast only it won't!

I haven't got a manual for this car so don't know what to diagnose.
It had a recent service and mechanically is in good order.
There is definitely something amiss though.
I suspect some form of turbo issue as when i rev it there does not appear to be any waste gate activation as i would expect at peak revs.
On checking this is the F8Q engine which i know came in several power levels but this thing feels like its putting out about 50bhp at the moment.
Any clues would be most welcome.

Colin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In case it helps anyone else this engine has an EGR which is the old style vacuum operated one.
Took it off and it was gummed up. the 'plunger' for want of another word was stuck shut. Haven't refitted it yet but will report results.
engine code F8Q 786 1.9 Dt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts