Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this week picked up thru main dealer an immaculate scenic 1.6 fidji automatic. 02 reg 16,000 miles. all good except even with light right foot and only driver on board i seem to be averaging only mid 20's economy.

admittedly so far it has been quite a bit in town and air con on but still seems very poor. is this the norm or should i investigate. as i said i have only driven about 150 miles so far but any tips or advice would be appreciated.

my previous car was the new shape megane 2 litre sport hatch 6 speed which averaged almost 30 throughout my 50,000 mile ownership.

O

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tony.

Hopefully somebody will be along shortly with a specific comparison but to be going on with, my 2.0T *manual* Espace tends to average low 20's with the wife using it for the school run, shopping etc, even on a motorway journey I can't remember seeing more than late 20's.

Autos tend to be use a bit more juice than manuals.

I can't find the official figures for the Scenic I but I've just found something on the Scenic II 1.6 auto which shows urban at 25mpg, combined 35mpg.

S

·
0 Posts
Yep - beat me to it:

Urban - mpg (litres/100km) 26.4 (10.7)
Extra Urban - mpg (litres/100km) 44.1 (6.4)
Combined - mpg (litres/100km) 35.3 (8.0)

This is for the current incarnation of that engine, although it might actually be the same power plant as the 02 model

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i'll keep it monitored. 30 should be achievable i hope!!! i'm doing 25,000 miles per year, need all the economy i can get.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
I'm averaging around 35 with the 2 litre Scenic (manual) and averaged about the same with the 2 litre auto. Thats about town mainly though with the odd run to the coast thrown in!

O

·
0 Posts
scen1c said:
I'm averaging around 35 with the 2 litre Scenic (manual) and averaged about the same with the 2 litre auto. Thats about town mainly though with the odd run to the coast thrown in!
Wow - what's your secret mate - any chance you could post a "How To" topic

Perhaps;

How To Drive: At Tick Over Revs ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
(sounds familiar)
Hi, I too have a Megane fidji 16i 02 Automatic and get about 26.4mpg around the doors and 29.4mpg on a run. I was traveling about 30 miles per day to and from work on the motorway and getting reasonable mileage but since changing jobs it has dropped down to 26mpg as my new job is 2 miles down the road.
Have you had the starting problems yet, I say yet as its a matter of time!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
funny you should ask about starting probs. car always started first turn of the key but now takes 3 or 4 goes to get it started. this can happen when engine is hot or cold. any suggestions??
i've also over the course of 8 months ownership now replaced all 4 coils. fortunately warrenty covered these at £42 each!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Tony,
I have also had a full set of coils free of charge, it was only when I pushed my luck and asked them to cure the starting problem that they f*cked me off.
I have been scouring the net looking for a solution to the starting problem and came across an aussie site with some interesting reading. Copy the link below into your web browser it shows you how to start first time (according to Renault).
I have seen loads of notes praising the changing of the TDC sensor so will whip me tools out and bugger about with that for a while. will let you know how I get on.

http://ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie...ghlight=&sid=8256e444a9dd515717c4b4b0a14ec542

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for that Twillco, I will give the redex a go. It has recently cost me £260 for a service at the local take your eyes out merchants so if this dont work I think I'll be giving the vodka a go.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I think the super unleaded has something to do with it too as i have previously been filling up with supermarket fuel. worth a try for 5p a litre more

·
Registered
19 Posts
twillco said:
I think the super unleaded has something to do with it too as i have previously been filling up with supermarket fuel. worth a try for 5p a litre more
Cheers I will try both the next time I fill up:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Superchip

tonygold said:
funny you should ask about starting probs. car always started first turn of the key but now takes 3 or 4 goes to get it started. this can happen when engine is hot or cold. any suggestions??
i've also over the course of 8 months ownership now replaced all 4 coils. fortunately warrenty covered these at £42 each!!
Sorry to go off at a tangent Tony but I was reading an article posted by you earlier regarding the installation of a performance improvement chip. Did you install it and if so was it any good?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts