Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have a 2001 scenic 1 with just the 1 key, key fob and all working well (for now) just tried key in lock on drivers door and it doesnt fit???, never tried before and dont know why i tried, any ideas, and how easy is it to ptogramme a fob if i bought spare from ebay??

cheers >:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Its likely the key does fit and the lock is seized from not being used. Try it in the tailgate, passenger door, glove box etc. WD40 might free it up if it's seized. A locksmith or dealer would need to code the new key

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
Its likely the key does fit and the lock is seized from not being used. Try it in the tailgate, passenger door, glove box etc. WD40 might free it up if it's seized. A locksmith or dealer would need to code the new key
Think the MK1 doesnt have a tailgate lock!! ..as said try getting WD40 into lock and let it soak but dont try force it in case key breaks..if you do free it get some 3in1 oil into it ..but many locksmiths like timpsons can clone key

·
22,708 Posts
Only thing I can think of is someone has changed ignition barrel and swapped the blade on the fob for the transponder so next option is either a door lock/ignition barrel or a door lock with a separate key

Edit
Are you sure about key and it is not just the protective cover on the lock seized

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,665 Posts
Have come across this a few times.
So will throw this out there.
Original key ( master key ), tip has broken off, and is jammed in the end of the barrel ..
Second key is ok , or replaced,,, usually its take barrel out and strip

Just something else for O/P to ponder on

·
22,708 Posts
Have come across this a few times.
So will throw this out there.
Original key ( master key ), tip has broken off, and is jammed in the end of the barrel ..
Second key is ok , or replaced,,, usually its take barrel out and strip

Just something else for O/P to ponder on
mmm minded me somdummy done this on a MK1 clio ..DAMHIK ...but lets put it this way I wasnt in the good books with swmbo :crying2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi all again, as usual you are all right there is something jammed in lock (drivers side) possibly snapped key, never even noticed lock on passenger door (doh), key fits and opens door.

second part of question would it be worth buying second hand blip off ebay and reprogramming it and getting spare cut, or could i get spare cut without the blip???

cheers >:)

·
22,708 Posts
Ask at your local locksmith if he can clone key and how much

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,390 Posts
i think its timpsons i asked a while back they would clone a key not the fob side though but it gives you a 2nd key to open the doors and start the car
Ron

·
22,708 Posts
Do you have access to a dremmel drill and a fine self tapping screw .. I drilled into broken key put a tiny screw in sprayed with oil left to soak pliers on screw pulled it out

·
22,708 Posts
I had house broken into few years ago and the keys for the Zafira and Yaris were stolen and they took our sons GTI ...thank god the insurance covered the keys as I had to get both cars lifted and taken to Vauxhall and Toyota bill was eye watering on the Yaris and sore on the Vauxhall so F**k knows what it would be on a Renault in dealer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts