Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Have a 1999 Scenic and the wipers have a mind of their own, sometimes won't stop, sometimes stop half way through sweep very random and downright dangerous as they stop at anytime.
Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I strongly suspect that the motor is at fault as this is where the self park is controlled.I would try and source a second hand unit and try that.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, my Scenic is a pre facelift and according to the glossary the UCH was only fitted to later models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your Scenic should still have an Interconnection Unit. This is similar to a UCH but with out the immobilser function. This is seperate.
Its likely to be either the switch (as has already been mentioned) in the motor or the wiring. What engine do ou have. If its a Diesel, i've had the loom rub through on the intercooler causing the wipers not to park. The wipers will park after a set period of time if no park message is sensed.
Get the circuit checked by a competent electrician, preferably a Renault dealership!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 1.6 8v engine, RT Alize model. I'll have a look at the loom, if not take the motor out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its a 1.6 8v engine, RT Alize model. I'll have a look at the loom, if not take the motor out.
I have the exact same model (similar age) and suffer the same problem - intermittently, it only happens when it is cold and damp.
After a while it goes away. But I would be very interested in knowing the solution as it is very annoying when it happens.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Wipers

The self-parking mechanism on many wiper motors rely on a having a good clean earth. Check this out first - on a multimeter it should read 0 ohms. A poor earth connection may vary greatly depending on the weather - the wetter it is the more likely it is to be a good connection but poor when dry. Not saying it'll cure the prob but worth trying first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts