Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new to this forum and I’m needing help and advice,parked my Scenic next day would not start ( had been raining heavily) took out under bonnet fuse box cleaned & dried still no good .Auto electrician called came to conclusion fuse box faulty,bought a second hand off eBay Put it in and car started first time,but then ( steering fault) on dash removed card ( steering not locked) appeared.tried many times on & off still the same.Auto electrician came again tried many things then suddenly every thing worked.stopped and started car a few times all OK .left car running electrician left,5mins later went to car ( electronic fault) showing. Switched off and on car starts but agaln ( steering fault) and ( not locked) showing.Thought it might be the replacement fuse box so got another from eBay but car starts and still the same faults showing ,so not the box.Tried cleaning all connecting plugs& sockets but really need decent wiring diagrams to be able to check cables for continuity they just disappear into looms and I don’t know if there are more connectors I can’t see. Any Ideas or advice greatly appreciated especially on diagram. Thanks..

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,868 Posts
Look at your under bonnet fuse box, see the brown multiplug couple inches long ..
Take that off the fuse box, and clean all the connectors inside it ..
Get a magnifying glass, or take your phone , take a picture of the connectors inside the plug, and zoom in , you should see what I mean then

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, checked plug PPH2 (brown) all contacts cleaned seem OK, still no good. When engine running have 12v on pin2 via fuse 5e yellow cable(steering) When engine off & card removed then have 12v on pin 5 via fuse 5a (steering lock). But no power steering or lock operating. Just don’t know where these wires go so cannot check them out for continuity.If I disconnect lock engine will not start so presume Ok .Would the fault codes need resetting before it all works OK ??. Know any good web site to down load decent wiring diagram..?. regards

·
39,868 Posts
You did check all fuses in the under bonnet fuse box, and these match the original for position..

Yours is the ALL black fusebox..
Everything else working on the car, other than the steering lock.. YOU have checked ..
Car is starting still yes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, all fuses Ok, it is the all black box,even checked fuses beneath box, everything else working, car starting fine just no power steering when car running and no steering lock on when car stopped and key card removed. Regards

·
39,868 Posts
NO power steering ?
AS IN cannot turn as its that heavy,
CHECK the fuses UNDER the under bonnet fuse box , large 60,, 70 amp fuses .. ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car starts & runs fine, but no electric power steering and steering lock does not operate when car stopped & key card removed.all fuses checked OK . All other electrics working fine.

·
39,868 Posts
no electric power steering as in you cannot turn the steering, its that heavy
This power source is from UNDER the under bonnet fusebox, its one of the large fuses.
BUT have you got power there ( First check)
So its remove top fuse box, TAKE it out now reconnect the main power supply from the battery to the bussbar .
Re fit the battery , The bussbar is powered at all times, so you should have power AT the fuse, and when the fuse is fitted the other side..

I will tell you my thoughts here ..
Everything was working ( as such ) before you took the plugs off the fuse box you/sparky replaced, The brown plug on the fuse box is the steering , I think a wire is broken either in that loom, or as it enters the brown multiplug ..
IF YOU can post a CLEAR picture showing the TOP where the wires fit in the plug, will have a look to see what wire(s) go to the steering from that plug ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts