Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Need help to fix this before the weekend. My Renault Scenic 1997 has devoloped a smoking habit, last night when driving home from my work it started to smell like burned oil in the car. Didnt think much about this but this morning when driving to work smoke started to appear from the hood. I quickly stoped and checked what was going on under the hood and the alternator had started smoking. I bought a new alternator this day and when i got home i dug in trying to replace the alternator. This was harder than i thought it would be. How do i release the belt that is driving the alternator.

I found an old post whit the same subject but the pictures describing how the replacement works had been removed.

Im going away to meet up whit a girl i recently meet this weekend so i desperatly need help whit the replacement.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Hello Everyone!

My Renault Scenic 1997 has devoloped a smoking habit,

I hope its not in an enclosed space.

Sorry, I'm sure someone will be along to give some help soon

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
from looking at the haynes manual for my model you need to remove the right hand wheel arch liner (you will need to jack up the car support it on axle stands and remove the wheel to do this) you will find a tensioner which you will need to slacken off to allow you to loosen the belt so that you can take the alternator off. Make sure when you have replaced the alternator and belt that you tighten the tensioner. You will also need to check the belt after a while as they tend to stretch some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Asterix, so I need to remove the right front wheel to get to the tensioner which will allow me so slacken the belt. I was just in the garage and nearly squized me finger to death while trying to bend the belt off.. I'll remove the wheel and get back to you.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
good luck....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phuuu..

After removing the right front wheel and trying to fing the tensioner for two hours I went on to brute force. I released all the bolts holding the alternator in place and then bent the belt off from the alternator, which alowed me to replace the alternator. The tricky part was to get the belt on the new alternator but with a crowbar and a lot of force it snapped in to place. This might now be the ideal approach but it solwed the problem right now. I took it for a test spin a few minutes ago and everything seemed fine. Thax for the moralic support guys. Hopfully the new alternator dosnt have the same taste for tobbaco as the old one did.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
glad to hear you managed it...might be worth a Haynes purchase mate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts