Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have recently bought a Scenic 1998 1.6RT with an automatic gearbox. Driving to work today the gearbox would not change out of first gear. From standing it drives normally but when the engine would normally change to second gear it just revs really loudly. It seems the gears are not engaging. Reverse is fine, and it will roll in neutral. I have taken it to a garage today, and they have sent the gearbox away for diagnostic checking. My question is what is exactly wrong with the car? Does the gearbox need replacing and if so how much would be a reasonable price for a fitted replacement? I don't want to pay over the odds. I have been quoted 1100 pounds for a new fitted gearbox does that sound about right? The car has done 66000 miles.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi it sounds like the car or gear box has went into limp mode or will not come out of second gear,£1100 i would say this is for repair and not i new gear box,its hard to say what would be wrong so many possibility's but i can tell you if you get offered i auto gear box at this price for a new one i would be taking it but i doubt this is right all the best Donald

1 - 3 of 3 Posts