Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenic 1999 1.6 Auto

Got a hole in the front pipe of the exhaust where it joins the manifold. (Or so the garage says).

How difficult is this to get to if I want to patch it?

Also, any idea of replacement cost?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Is it a 16 or 8 valve?

The 8 valve manifold is very easy to replace as it's on the front of the engine,the 16 valve is down the back of the engine making it a bit awkward....

Either way,I would replace it rather than try and patch it.Welding manifolds is a bit hit and miss,and crack/hole usually reappears at a later date.You should be able to pick up a second hand 8 valve manifold for around £30-£40,the 16 vlave manifolds are worth around three or four times this as they are a common problem.

New 16 valve manifolds are around £450 and are only available from Renault....:eek::(

EDIT:Actually,after re-reading your post I see that it's the front pipe causing the grief!:eek:.Does it have the cat built into it?.You can probably have the front pipe repaired quite easily and effectively,but as above,if your going to the hassle of taking it off,you'd might as well replace it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a 16 or 8 valve?

The 8 valve manifold is very easy to replace as it's on the front of the engine,the 16 valve is down the back of the engine making it a bit awkward....

Either way,I would replace it rather than try and patch it.Welding manifolds is a bit hit and miss,and crack/hole usually reappears at a later date.You should be able to pick up a second hand 8 valve manifold for around £30-£40,the 16 vlave manifolds are worth around three or four times this as they are a common problem.

New 16 valve manifolds are around £450 and are only available from Renault....:eek::(

EDIT:Actually,after re-reading your post I see that it's the front pipe causing the grief!:eek:.Does it have the cat built into it?.You can probably have the front pipe repaired quite easily and effectively,but as above,if your going to the hassle of taking it off,you'd might as well replace it.
Its a 16V,.,..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts