Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can advise on checking the cam solenoid.

The girlfriend reported poor performance, but no warning lights (yes, still talking about the car!) I checked the code and it shows P0010-C9, cam actuator open circuit. She smells rich and both long-term and short-term fuels trims are hard in the negative.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a bad connection. All of the wires and connectors are clean with no sign of corrosion. I get a clear <1 Ohm on each wire of the solenoid connector back to the middle plug on the ECU. There don't appear to be any shorts and I've opened the ECU - it' immaculate inside and all the pins on the connectors look good.

I've also checked the cam position sensor and it tests out fine; again all connections are good.

The solenoid has a resistance of 7.5 Ohms and no shorts. It moves freely when I apply 12V, but I don't know if it is moving enough. I've never tested one before and, although the plunger moves, it seems to move from a tiny gap, to no gap. The orange arrow in the photo shows the tiny gap that is visible when the solenoid is off. The plunger extends and closes this gap when power is applied.

Does anyone have experience of how these things should behave? I'm stumped, especially as the fault says the solenoid is open circuit, but the connections all seem fine

Thanks!

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
5,977 Posts
Renault 1.6vvt P0010 Dephaser solenoid, camshaft sensor, coil pack check(Fixed) check injection - YouTube

Renault Megane II 1.6 16V K4M dephaser control problem - YouTube

There are lots of other videos on youtube on the testing of these ............... to me the gap seems to be too small but its difficult to tell not being there in person.

I would manually test the solenoid with a variable power supply on a running engine like in the second video and see if the scanner can echo the change in cam angle behavior

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Renault 1.6vvt P0010 Dephaser solenoid, camshaft sensor, coil pack check(Fixed) check injection - YouTube

Renault Megane II 1.6 16V K4M dephaser control problem - YouTube

There are lots of other videos on youtube on the testing of these ............... to me the gap seems to be too small but its difficult to tell not being there in person.

I would manually test the solenoid with a variable power supply on a running engine like in the second video and see if the scanner can echo the change in cam angle behavior
Thanks LvR,

I had watched the first one and the resistance of mine seems correct. The movement of the plunger in the second video matches that of mine, but unfortunately, with no text or commentary, I can't tell if what they are showing is good or bad!

I will say that, unlike the car in the second video, there is no rattle from my engine, indeed it idles like a Swiss watch. I also have no errors on the dash, just on the diagnostic. Herself is heading away with the kids for a few days and, if it wasn't for the over-rich mixture, I would tell her to just tolerate the low power until we can figure it out. Unfortunately it's so rich that I reckon it will wreck the cat.

·
Registered
677 Posts
What do the spark plugs look like? I'm not convinced the cam de-phaser would cause the engine to run very rich.
If the plugs are black then maybe something else is involved too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do the spark plugs look like? I'm not convinced the cam de-phaser would cause the engine to run very rich.
If the plugs are black then maybe something else is involved too.
I haven't checked them yet, but realistically, I don't need to. My nose tells me that it's rich and the diagnostic has the Long-Term fuel trim pegged at -26% and the Short-Term wandering between -11 & -25%.

I take your point that there could be another issue, but I have no idea what it is. All that I do know is that I have a P0010 and that the lack of power on hills matches that issue. Unfortunately I can't find anything wrong so far. I was hoping for a dud cam position sensor or a failed solenoid, but that doesn't seem to be the case, unless the valve is not opening sufficiently.

I think I need to resolve the fault code before I can go much further, but all suggestions are welcome

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,746 Posts
Can you take it for a run with diagnostic connected
Perhaps another fault might get logged

Reactions: LvR

·
Technical Supremo.
5,977 Posts
I haven't checked them yet, but realistically, I don't need to. My nose tells me that it's rich and the diagnostic has the Long-Term fuel trim pegged at -26% and the Short-Term wandering between -11 & -25%.

I take your point that there could be another issue, but I have no idea what it is. All that I do know is that I have a P0010 and that the lack of power on hills matches that issue. Unfortunately I can't find anything wrong so far. I was hoping for a dud cam position sensor or a failed solenoid, but that doesn't seem to be the case, unless the valve is not opening sufficiently.

I think I need to resolve the fault code before I can go much further, but all suggestions are welcome
If those fuel trims are getting logged for no valid reason the engine may be running extremely lean ................ hence no power.

It's easy enough with a proper Renault speaking scanner to confirm the correct operation of the solenoid - log the requested vs measured cam position values - if they match then solenoid is working as it should - I would start here as a priority

FWIW - no matter what the cam advance system is doing (either right or wrong), THAT system's actions cannot cause stinky exhaust smelling of fuel (by design imo)

What scanner are you using? - I am willing to bet with your description of subjective symptoms there, the ECU ought to be able to generate at least a few more Renault specific codes to help you along as @ours2012 suggest there

if it wasn't for the over-rich mixture, I would tell her to just tolerate the low power until we can figure it out. Unfortunately it's so rich that I reckon it will wreck the cat.
Just to prevent misunderstanding here:

Assuming you have a proper working upstream O2 - The fact you smell fuel at the exhaust and at the same time log huge consistent negative fuel trims on LTFT and STFT do NOT mean the engine as a whole is running rich necessarily - remember the system has a single O2 and ECU serving 4 cylinders (and not an O2 or EGT per cylinder) - the O2 info effectively sees the "averaged" exhaust info of the engine and cannot possibly identify a single funky cylinder's contribution to the overall mixture preparation..............
It is eg possible to have a funky injector flooding THAT single cylinder, and in effect flooding the O2 with false info regarding the mixture of ALL cylinders - net result is 3 cylinders run super lean ON AVERAGE for the O2 to satisfy the limited maths/models in the ECU trying to ensure stoich running................ not saying this is 100% the case just warning

If the cam advance requested data matches the measured, I would slap a mechanical fuel gauge on the rail and investigate the rail pressure behaviour - quite a lot can be said with that experiment alone about mixture formation and injectors already

·
Registered
707 Posts
That kind of fault should also be visible in exhaust fumes report.
Lots of hydrocarbons from unburnt fuel (one flooded cylinder) and higher O2 from lean mixture of the other 3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If those fuel trims are getting logged for no valid reason the engine may be running extremely lean ................ hence no power.

What scanner are you using?

Its easy enough with a proper Renault speaking scanner to confirm the correct operation of the solenoid - log the requested vs measured cam position values - if they match then solenoid is working as it should
That's a sensible suggestion, but unfortunately I've only got an EOBD-Facile scanner, which is not only basic, but also French. I don't have that level of detail.

I think the idea of a bad injector is a good one. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea, because it means opening the manifold, possibly multiple times, but I think it's a good take on the symptoms - with the exception of that P0010, which is an issue all on its own.

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted

·
Technical Supremo.
5,977 Posts
That's a sensible suggestion, but unfortunately I've only got an EOBD-Facile scanner, which is not only basic, but also French. I don't have that level of detail.

I think the idea of a bad injector is a good one. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea, because it means opening the manifold, possibly multiple times, but I think it's a good take on the symptoms - with the exception of that P0010, which is an issue all on its own.

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted
Dont take this the wrong way but I really think the need for a Renault specific scanner to guide you better is a priority if you don't want to end up spending lots of money and time chasing ghosts ...........

Many generic scanners produce codes that may not tally with Renault / any other chosen brand's faultfinding guides.

EOBD is emissions-related only and fairly well documented and easily implemented .................. the P0010 you got till now may in fact not correspond to the dephaser solenoid or its actions/influences at all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts