Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone tell me where the lambda sensor is - photographs would be ideal - also is it is easy to change.

I have a check emissions fault and many of the posts say to check the sensor. I've already changed the camshaft sensor.

God I hate Renaults

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Hi can anyone tell me where the lambda sensor is - photographs would be ideal - also is it is easy to change.

I have a check emissions fault and many of the posts say to check the sensor. I've already changed the camshaft sensor.

God I hate Renaults
Check the coolant temperature and inlet air tempereature sensors first.

Replacing the upstream or bank one cat' sensor can be a PITA, believe me.

Rule the other sensors out first, it costs nothing.

:)

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Is this easy to do - are the sensors accessible within removing half the car?

D
Yes,
You will need a hairdryer and ohmeter to test the air temp' sensor and a ohmeter to test the coolant sensor plus the values from the haynes manual, if you don't have them just ask.
The first image is the coolant temp sensor

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The air temperature sensor looks easy to get at - don't know about the other - what should the values be?

I'm going to try to get the haynes book from the library tonight if they have one.

D

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
The air temperature sensor looks easy to get at - don't know about the other - what should the values be?

I'm going to try to get the haynes book from the library tonight if they have one.

D

The coolant temperature sensor is accessed by removing the air intake hose and resonator box.
TOP TIP, i'd invest in a haynes if you plan on doing your own maintenance.
Many run them down but they are ok for basic maintenance and repair.
If you have access to a hairdryer and multimeter i'll post the values.

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Coolant temperature sensor resistance,

At around 20 degree's centigrade {coolant temperature, cold engine} 2600 to 3000 ohms.

At around 80 degree's centigrade 300 to 370 ohms.

In others words the value's drop as the temperature increases's.

Inlet air temperature,

Remove the sensor from the manifold and disconnect from the loom.
Touch the terminals with the probes from the multmeter and at the same time direct heat at the sensor from the hairdryer. The value's should dramatically change if the sensors working, i don't remember the exact values but it makes no difference really.
BTW, no need to drain the coolant or remove the sensor from the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try either tonight or tomorrow

I'm taking it to local backstreet place they have a diagnostic computer - he's going to plug it and see what it says. Perhaps I'll get the fault codes.

If so do you know what they mean?

D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No joy but thanks for your help - I checked out the air temperature sensor and that seems to be fine. I put it in the freezer and the resistance was down to 10kohm with 2k at ambient.

Didn't bother with the coolant as I was unsure of the damage I may have caused!!

I had a look undernaeth at the lambda sensor and waggled the wires a bit.

I test drove the car for 30minutes but the check emissions fault remained on.

I've posted another thread about the fault code that my friend gave me but if no-one knows a simple fix then tht will be that.

Thanks & Rgds

D

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Using the hair dryer method the results would have been instantaneous, i've never heard of one being put in the freezer though!

The main cat' sensor is the upstream or bank 1, its on or close to the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the hair dryer and the resistance went down. I noticed in the Haynes book that the resistance was given as 9k at -10C so I stuck it in the freezer (-18C) and the resistance was then about 10k so it seemed to scale ok.

I'll see if I can get to the other sensor and wagle the wires

I still think its probably the cam sensor so will try again with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.