Independent Renault Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
All 4 injectors fire at the same time only on cranking.
Later, when ECU pics up position of the pistons and camshaft, injection will be done by each cylinder.

I really, really doubt that oil can make up for lost compression.
No matter how drained it is and no matter how long engine has not been started, that is no reason for no compression.

Shot in the dark.
If your camshafts are turned for 180 degrees, engine would behave like you described.
Everything is OK and in place but the spark fires at the end of exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke. Even then, some combustion should take place, even in the exhaust pipe. But that is the only thing I can think of. Also would explain lack of compression. Of course there is no compression if the valves are open.
How hard is it for starter to turn the engine? Normal load? Or is it turning the engine lightly and fast?
Its sounds like lightly and fast
The Camshaft ends by the Gearbox side. the Small half circle is closer to gearbox. Down and the bigger half circle is on top. When locking camshaft. and TDC
. Is that correct ?

·
Registered
706 Posts
That is F4R engine? 2 litre petrol?

I don't really understand the rest of your post but there are plenty of web pages with detailed explanations about timing belt on F4R. If at some point you lost timing, camshafts were turned without turning the crankshaft, or at least one of them, you might have lost timing.

Again, I am guessing, crankshaft does not have markings for TDC. It only locks into position with pin plug. And if crank is 360 deg off proper position, you get wrong timing and spark on the opposite cylinder.
If the cranking is quick, without resistance of compression, then it is very likely that you got timing off.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
That is F4R engine? 2 litre petrol?

I don't really understand the rest of your post but there are plenty of web pages with detailed explanations about timing belt on F4R. If at some point you lost timing, camshafts were turned without turning the crankshaft, or at least one of them, you might have lost timing.

Again, I am guessing, crankshaft does not have markings for TDC. It only locks into position with pin plug. And if crank is 360 deg off proper position, you get wrong timing and spark on the opposite cylinder.
If the cranking is quick, without resistance of compression, then it is very likely that you got timing off.
Thanks for your reply.
I google and looked at diagrams for the F4R770 motor. And it looks like at the gearbox end you have under the caps. Two Camshaft ends and a slot has been cut out of it to allow for the locking bar to go across the slits. If you look at these camshaft ends. The slit is more to one side of the circel. If you look at the camshaft side head on the circel has been cut in half. when you put the locking tool in place. the one half cemicercel is bigger than the other. So must the small cemicirel be on top or the bottom ?

The blue part at top or bottom . I have it on the Bottom

·
Registered
706 Posts
Don't know.
Question is, were camshafts ever turned without T belt?
If they were and cranking is fast, you have to check timing again.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Don't know.
Question is, were camshafts ever turned without T belt?
If they were and cranking is fast, you have to check timing again.
I do not Know if it was turned without T belt. I got it as a non starter. Cambelt was damaged piece out. So replaced.

I need to find out if Half small circle. must be on top or not

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I do not Know if it was turned without T belt. I got it as a non starter. Cambelt was damaged piece out. So replaced.

I need to find out if Half small circle. must be on top or not
I have check on you tub could only find 1 6 Motor and the small half circle is at the bottom. I check diagram on F4R motor and it also looks like small half circle is at the bottom as well. Just like I did set. I do not know what else to check. So I will be taking head off tomorrow to see if head gasket has blown or valve bent

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
36,890 Posts
Ian have you got all your Diagnostic sheets
Email them to me
Will convert and put them on the Forum

·
36,890 Posts
Diagnostic reports?
Should have a place that your diagnostic reports are stored

When you diagnose the car
Can you see where it reads Diagnostic report
FILL all boxes in DONT matter what you tick
Then click next next next and when it comes to save, save
Dont print dont send, untick the boxes
Now click the home/house Icon
Top line, File Diagnostic.
Scroll down to reports, all info there

IF NOT sure that you have set Clip up correctly, then download teamviewer.
I will come on your lappy and set it up
HIDE anything you DO NOT want me to see, as your COMPUTER will be open to me, as will Mine to you

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Diagnostic reports?

HIDE anything you DO NOT want me to see, as your COMPUTER will be open to me, as will Mine to you
Must I do this well doing a scan. Or will it be there now ?. Must I plug into the car ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Diagnostic reports?

Hi Stuart. I am having trouble trying to do a scan on clip today. It logs in and get the vin. then you press scan it bombs out of Can clip. I have tried deleting software and reinstalling but it does the same thing. I think It will be better if we do team viewning

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi Guys.
Could not get clip to work.
So I took off the cylinder head and this is what I found. 8 inlet valves bent open. Do you think this could be the problem ? no compression on all 4 cylinders. lol.

Does the pistons look OK from this angle ?

Attachments

·
36,890 Posts
WOW Ian thats taken some time to find
So cam belt had either slipped or fitted wrong then
Dont know how much valves are in S.A. they are pretty cheap over here, around £7 each
Is it possible to get a second hand head or are they like hens teeth over there

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
WOW Ian thats taken some time to find
So cam belt had either slipped or fitted wrong then
Dont know how much valves are in S.A. they are pretty cheap over here, around £7 each
Is it possible to get a second hand head or are they like hens teeth over there
Then not easy to come by. No the valves are Cheap. R35.00 each. got 8 today and Gasket.
Will seat valve and clean out Pistons. I am not sure what previous owner done. Car was very cheap. I think they may have not known what they were doing. I did change the cambelt. I checked it out before I started the car. belt was very old .

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Then not easy to come by. No the valves are Cheap. R35.00 each. got 8 today and Gasket.
Will seat valve and clean out Pistons. I am not sure what previous owner done. Car was very cheap. I think they may have not known what they were doing. I did change the cambelt. I checked it out before I started the car. belt was very old .
Hi. All.
OK I have replaced 8 inlet valves and done water test. 3 exhaust valves leaking. Re seated them. Done water test again over night. No leaks.

Put all together again. Tried to start. Nothing no even a crank. Do click sound Dead. Dash on. Message on Dash. Battery Charging fault. and Oil pressure fault.
Plugged into Delphi and done a ISS scan.
Engine No system Responded
Every thing else OK
Restraints 3 faults
DF071 Drivers 2nd squib circuit open - Present
DF072 Driver squib 1st circuit open - Present
DF002 Computer supply Voltage . value outside limits

Any ideas
Thanks Ian

·
36,890 Posts
Earth is off somewhere
Would say a small one going to the battery

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
OK cool thanks so much
Hi Stuart
I have checked all earth wires and cleaned them. I have Charged the Battery then done a Test. 12.85v. I then Conected Battery to car took a reading 12.58v. I then went and tried to start nothing. Message came up on Dash. Battery charging fault. ( I did disconnect the positive wire to alternator. I was going to try it in the Scenic 3. Then decided to change my mind. I left connection off for awhile. But did reconnect on first time to restart after valves replaced.)
I took off positive cable and cleaned it up. Put back on and tried car.N9w Charging message gone. But not start. not starter motor kicking in. Dead. Indicators and wipers work.
When back to Battery checked voltage. 9.49v. Took terminal off and checked Battery 10.56V.
It was turning over before Valves done. Turned crankshaft by hand turns over.
Any Help please

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hi Stuart
I have checked all earth wires and cleaned them. I have Charged the Battery then done a Test. 12.85v. I then Conected Battery to car took a reading 12.58v. I then went and tried to start nothing. Message came up on Dash. Battery charging fault. ( I did disconnect the positive wire to alternator. I was going to try it in the Scenic 3. Then decided to change my mind. I left connection off for awhile. But did reconnect on first time to restart after valves replaced.)
I took off positive cable and cleaned it up. Put back on and tried car.N9w Charging message gone. But not start. not starter motor kicking in. Dead. Indicators and wipers work.
When back to Battery checked voltage. 9.49v. Took terminal off and checked Battery 10.56V.
It was turning over before Valves done. Turned crankshaft by hand turns over.
Any Help please
I have changed the battery for another battery. 12.68 V. Tried to start nothing dead. Only dash and wipers working and inside lights. Done a scan. Engine on Delphi dose not connect to. Other parts all OK.
Checked batter after scan. 12.09 V. Is there a fuse controlling ECU. It looks like ecu not turning on starter

41 - 60 of 70 Posts