Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the weather turned warmer I discovered the air con not working on my 2006 scenic. The compressor was not cutting in, but the light came on, and the radiator cooling fan.
Having had a scan through the comments on these boards I was inspired to call Renault UK in case it fell in to the category of problems that they would fix for free.
They were very helpful and did say that certain known problems could indeed be fixed free of charge or with a contribution from them even though the car is out of warranty and not serviced by a Renault dealer.
So the car went in to our local Reanault dealer.
The cause of the problem was totally unbelieveable! after hours of fault finding and getting nowhere they decided to try changing the ignition coils - and that was the cause of it. The car was running fine, but apparently there was interference coming off the coils. I suggested that it was only 1 causing it but they insisted it waould not work unless all 4 were substituted. So I asked how much this was going to cost with view of going down the road and buying just 1 and trying it myself. However, due to the relative young age of the coils and the unheardness of the fault they offered 50% off, bringing the cost to £161. I doubt if I could have bought genuine Renault coils for that and then fitted thyem myself - plus the fault finding and the job is guaranteed of course, so I told them to go ahead. It has been fine for a month now. I would rather not have spent £161 but do not feel I have been ripped off either.
So well done Renault on this occasion.

O

·
0 Posts
Weird, but good it's sorted.

Did they offer a reason why they even thought of changing a totally unrelated part and did they just put new coils of the same type in or change the type and make too?

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
As a Renault tech I find this extremely hard to believe.
If the coil had been arcing of the head to cause such an interference the engine would have been misfiring.
I suspect during their fault finding procedure they have fixed a poor connection someehere.
Although stranger faults have occurred on Renaults

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies! They said that they tried the coils partly out of deperation and that there is some link (however tenuous) between them and the refrigerant pressure sensor - They did suspect this sensor initially, as this is what was holding off the compressor but the sensor was not faulty. It only started working when the now coils were on, and when they put any of my original ones back in it would not work.
I remain a but skeptical as to whether it was all 4 coils but the price and guarantee swayed me - If i had not gone ahead there would have been a bill for the diagnois anyway, which was hours apparently. Under different circumstances I would have got just one and substituted it.
Am I right to believe that on the Scenic 2 there are parts of the wiring where more than one signal is sent down the same wire, like a network cable? maybe this explains it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts