Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a year I've had a lumpy idle and stalling when cold on my 2001 Scenic 2 litre IDE.

This happened after the timing belt was replaced because it snapped 10 miles after I bought it. (Non Renault Garage)

Just go it back from Renault Coatbridge having had a new timing belt kit (Timing was slightly out)

But the idle problems were caused by the solenoid for the Camshaft Dephaser Pully being faulty and stuck in the open position.

Sweet :d

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
For a year I've had a lumpy idle and stalling when cold on my 2001 Scenic 2 litre IDE.

This happened after the timing belt was replaced because it snapped 10 miles after I bought it. (Non Renault Garage)

Just go it back from Renault Coatbridge having had a new timing belt kit (Timing was slightly out)

But the idle problems were caused by the solenoid for the Camshaft Dephaser Pully being faulty and stuck in the open position.

Sweet :d
Glad you got it sorted ! Nice to hear of someone with an IDE lump going well, regards Damian.:)

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
I didn't know the IDEs were also VVT... A pretty advanced engine then - no wonder they're not without their issues.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The following is copied from another post on the board :

The Pulley is an "On/Off" device..

At Start/Idle the Pulley is locked, then when the revs reach 1,500 the Dephaser Solenoid is commanded to open and routes pressurised oil to the dephaser pulley vanes.
This then unlocks the pulley and retards the Inlet camshaft by 6 degrees increasing "valve overlap" in so doing providing more power output.

When the revs drop below 1,500 the solenoid closes and the pulley/Camshaft returns to the Normal position.

The pulley fails internally and will not lock the Camshaft. So when you start the vehicle or when at idle the overlap/fuelling is incorrect and so the vehicle will stall, idle roughly etc

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi there has anyone got a clue where on the engine this soloniod is please and how much was it to replace it as i may have the same problem with my my megane II

·
Premium Member
23,003 Posts
The dephaser solenoid forms part of the inlet cam pulley which is under the cambelt cover.Make sure your car has VVT before suspecting the dephaser though as you don't have VVT you won't have a dephaser.

If you do have the system it might be worth giving RCS a call as depending on the age/mileage/service history of your car Renault may make a contribution to the cost of repair.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
should have said mines an 03 plate megane 1.6 vvt :eek: :eek: :eek:

and i have all of the obove symtoms think i've found it tonight but any comfirmation would be good

·
Premium Member
23,003 Posts
Yep,the 1.6 VVT does have the dephaser whatsit,it's under the cambelt cover on the inlet cam pulley.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
paulrom, the solinoid is roughly near the oil filler cap (Sort of between the oil filer cap and the ignition coil ) on the cam cover, near the timing belt end of the cover. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
yip yip found it thanks guys and girls took it out yesterday and gave it a good clean up and re fitted then proceeded to drive up to my dad's in newcastle around a 300 mile trip and it was fine for the whole journey lets wait and see if it stays that way now just got the battery drain to solve but will hit that on tuesday

if this is such a comon problem why havn't renault issued a recall on it ???????????????????

would they cover some of the cost if i approached them about it

·
Premium Member
23,003 Posts
It's definately worth a call to RCS,but I suspect that your car is too old for them to make a contribution.:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok next question has anyone changed one of these pulleys themselves if so is it major surgery i.e head off or is it not that drastic and could a compitant D.I.Y mechanic carry this out :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
49 Posts
paulrom, if it is anything like on the 2.0 16v, it's just a case of removing the engine mount, locking the cams and crank up, removing the timing belt, removing the pulley and replacing it, but you should put a new belt on though, don't put the old belt back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
paulrom, if it is anything like on the 2.0 16v, it's just a case of removing the engine mount, locking the cams and crank up, removing the timing belt, removing the pulley and replacing it, but you should put a new belt on though, don't put the old belt back on.
thanxs m8 will look into it althogh for the moment it looks like it's sorted just b y removing and cleaning the solonoed out ?????? wait and see i spose but would change the belt and the water pump me thinks as dont know when the belt was last done so was gonna change it anyways :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy
Don't you just love french cars and there crazy wiring and mechanical glitches

·
Registered
49 Posts
paulrom, if you think french cars have quarks you should take a look at Japanese car engines, I had a 2.8 Mitsubishi Shogun before the RX4, it had an conventional oil cooler on it, (Like a small radiator) but in their wisdom the put it in the engine block so the coolant cooled it. Why not just mount it so the passing air cooled it?:confused:

·
Premium Member
24,247 Posts
There is a very good reason to use the coolant system to cool and oil cooler. It means both the coolant and oil remain a similar temperatures - this reduces massive temperature differences across the engine Vastly different temp ranges within a metal structure can lead to heat and metal stresses and eventual metal fatigue. What many people seem to forget is that engine oil not only lubricates but also cools the internal moving components.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
madnoel10, another reason they did the oil cooling that way was so even when going slow off road the oil was still being cooled as opposed to a greatly reduced air flow from going slower.
It just seemed a strange way to cool the oil, by using a radiator type cooler, then putting it into the engine water jacket.
They must have known what they were doing. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts