Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally only do short journeys to and from work most of the time, but every now and then I get the chance to travel to another branch some distance away wich involves some motorway traveling,but when I accelerate very sharply I get smoke coming from the exhaust-is this normal.It seems to do the car some good as it do not seem so slugish doing the short journeys again. I'm led to believe that giving the turbo some " work to do" will do it some good ,is this true.

Thanks for any replies.

Geecee.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I think you will find that if you do low reving short trips, soot will build up in the exhaust. A quick hard thrash will do the car good, just make sure the water temp is normal and you have done enough miles for the oil to be up to normal operating temp. Hope this helps, regards Damian. :)

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
but when I accelerate very sharply I get smoke coming from the exhaust-is this normal.
Simple answer..........

YES ;)

Your driving a diesel, all diesels smoke when you accelerate sharply, some more so than others (keep an eye out for VW/Audi group diesels!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I normally only do short journeys to and from work most of the time, but every now and then I get the chance to travel to another branch some distance away wich involves some motorway traveling,but when I accelerate very sharply I get smoke coming from the exhaust-is this normal.It seems to do the car some good as it do not seem so slugish doing the short journeys again. I'm led to believe that giving the turbo some " work to do" will do it some good ,is this true.

Thanks for any replies.

Geecee.
I am forever doing the long journeys.. ( Middlesbrough - Plymouth ) 2-4 journeys a month ( 760 miles round trip )
and I find everytime I put my foot down in a low gear I do get the smoke out the back end, but thats only when the tubo is doing its job...
Dont notice it so much in 5th or 6th gear, probably cos thats all I use on the motorways... except for jams..
you will notice it more at night.. especially if there is a car behind in its headlight beam..... but Ive been told its the norm....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scenic 2 smokey exhaust

I think you will find that if you do low reving short trips, soot will build up in the exhaust. A quick hard thrash will do the car good, just make sure the water temp is normal and you have done enough miles for the oil to be up to normal operating temp. Hope this helps, regards Damian. :)
Thanks for your help.

Geecee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts