Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2003 scenic 1.9dci (new shape).

I have recently had a battery fitted, I think that it might have caused prob's with my tunerlist cd player over heating, I have just replaced the tunerlist after the old one over heated and when into a high pitch squeel through the speakers. The new one ( bought of ebay) is now developing the same prob, when I turn the volume up or after I have been driving for a while the the cd and radio crackle and pop then the sound goes really low wisper. I have to switch it off then back on again then it works for a little while again. When I pop the unit out there is copper plate on the left side of the player that is very hot to touch.

Seeing that it is the second player i don't think that the problem is with the player could it be something to do with the battery.

Please help

Jimmy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
209 Posts
It is unfair to blame the battery, as that is probably just a coincidence - after all the battery is in the engine compartment and the radio is in the cab. Other than the fact that the radio requires power there is no other connection!
The copper plate that you refer to acts as a heatsink to help cool the amplifier of the radio.
Might be worth checking any abrasion of cables to the power plug and worth a look in the fuse panel as problems can arise at the rear of the panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I'm totally confused, its a bit annoying as its my second player, and I find it strange that when you turn the volume up it causes the unit in radio or cd mode to crackle and pop type of noise through the speakers then looses sound. I think its a matter of time before this one go's. I was clasping at straws and thought the battery might be the issue.

There was a couple of nicks in the cable where the power plug went into back of the unit, I taped these up but still have the problem.

I will check out the fuse panel tomorrow.

Cheers for the advise

Jimmy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Hi Jimmylinton.

With regard to your radio/cd problem a point to note is as the volume is increased the current demand for the amplifier also increases, hence the heat from the unit.Heat sinks are fitted to the power output stages but if the transistors get to hot they will shut down to prevent thermal runaway.If this is causing your problem the solution is simple....turn the volume down.

Another cause could be as Mickdoc says,the cable and terminations.A check that no damage to either battery feed and earth could be worth a try as a faulty connection could cause a volts drop and radio not to operate correctly.

A meter connected across the positve and negative supply will help prove the fault.

Hope this helps...let us know how you get on.

:) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi cheers for the advice a problem shared is a problem halved so they say. I have checked wiring and connections they where all fine. I went into the set up and noticed the treble and bass where high I have turned these down and so far its been fine so I'm keeping my digits crossed.

thanks once again.
Jimmy
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top