Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a Scenic 3 that the radiator fan does not come on, I have taken the radiator fan out, and connected to battery and it works. I have a worming message every now and then that the battery is low. So I am not sure if this may be the resin why the fan does not turn on. I brought the car second hand, so not sure if the battery is the wrong size.

Please can you help

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts
Is the car overheating? Fans only come on if the temperature goes a bit over normal. For some cars this could be almost never, especially diesels. What makes you say it doesn't come on?
A test you could try is disconnect the temperature sensor with the car running or even just the ign on. When the ECU loses sight of the sensor it puts the fan on as a precaution.
With so many electronic monitoring things the car is highly dependent on correct voltage. If the battery is low you may get all manner of spurious alarms and generally things not working as planned.
What is the capacity Ah rating of the battery or is the size issue about the physical size?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the car overheating? Fans only come on if the temperature goes a bit over normal. For some cars this could be almost never, especially diesels. What makes you say it doesn't come on?
A test you could try is disconnect the temperature sensor with the car running or even just the ign on. When the ECU loses sight of the sensor it puts the fan on as a precaution.
With so many electronic monitoring things the car is highly dependent on correct voltage. If the battery is low you may get all manner of spurious alarms and generally things not working as planned.
What is the capacity Ah rating of the battery or is the size issue about the physical size?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Brendan

Thanks so much for your reply. I am not sure of the Ah. all that's on the battery is 228. The Car has over headed, and I stopped the car. It does use a lot of water, and I have noticed a leak on the housing going back into the motor. I have noticed when I turn on the Air con the fan does not come on. The air con only gets cold when the car is moving.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts
First thing to fix is the coolant leak. How much is a lot?
What housing is this and what engine are we talking about?
A pic would help a lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I full the water tank in the morning and do about 400km and the next day it dry. takes about 2 lt to full, and you can hear the water going into the motor . I look under the car and there is a slow drip. The Motor is a 1.9l F9Q l4 dCI from a Scenic 3 2010 \

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Please see attached the pic On is of the housing the thermostat that was leaking and the other the wiring under neath open wire, not insulated and the red wire was loose on the gear box
Which side of the motor is the drip?
If you looking from the front of the Car the right side by the thermostate

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

I have fixed the leak and sorted the wiring out, but still the fan does not work. Even if I put the air con on the fan does not come on. Can anyone help

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
The cooling fan is driven from the ECU itself - The ECU needs a temp sensor to tell it what the engine temp is doing ...............

In addition............. if the ECU is not activating the fan when the AC is switched on then there is obviously a missing link between the ECU and fan ................. fuse/wire/relay etc etc

The simplest way to fault find this situation is with a Renault speaking scanner that will enable you to look at the parameters involved to govern the ECU's fan activating decisions

So is that abortion of a wire nest sorted?
Guess you replaced the thermostat housing?

If it used 2L in 400km before, how much water is it using now?

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,008 Posts
Does the over temperature warning light come on the dash with the sensor disconnected?
The next thing back up the line from the fan is the fan relay. Try to find it, probably in the engine fusebox.
Swap it out for a known good one or identify the fan power in and out pins and bridge them. Second thoughts probably not enough room in there for bridging. Going to have a look for a pic of that box.
Can you find the resistor for the slow speed supply ( aircon on) and see if it's still wired in and not open cct?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the over temperature warning light come on the dash with the sensor disconnected? NO IT DOES NOT

Swap it out for a known good one or identify the fan power in and out pins and bridge them. Second thoughts probably not enough room in there for bridging. Going to have a look for a pic of that box. PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PIC BLUE RELAY. HOW DO I KNOW IF ITS GONE ?

Can you find the resistor for the slow speed supply ( aircon on) and see if it's still wired in and not open cct?

NOT SURE HOW TO FINE RESISTOR. NOT SURE IF IT ON THE FAN SEE ATTACHED PIC.
FOUND AIR CON SENSOR NOT SURE IF ITS THAT ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts