Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 3rd brake light hasnt worked for a couple of years , I'm now told its compulsory for MoT, so I removed the LED STRIP and as the cost of a new one is 45 !! quid I think I'll be smart and get a 12v LED strip off Ebay, and bodge it in , this Ebay strip has a row of 24 conventional LEDS , the Renault strip has 3 tiny LEDS and various components ? Why ?. anyway the 12v Ebay strip dosnt work , so I check the supply volts and its reading a CONSTANT 8v and no change if I hit the brake pedal, the normal lamp brake lights are fine , a friend told me there may be a kind of multiplexing going on , so I would have to buy the original part . Is this true ? Or should I just run a parralel feed from one of the brake 12v lamps with some twin flex and bodge in the Ebay 12v LED STRIP ,, love to get to the bottom of this one !!!!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,059 Posts
when did 3rd brake light come in on the mot?

Dont understand why its only 8volts at the 3rd light .. and Constant
OR why its not flattening the battery .

( Hope I have this right )
Would say you have issues with the wiring , and not the Multiplex..
Volts and current are not the same so though you have voltage ( and low voltage at that )
Would say you have high resistance and not allowing current through .
(Voltage can occur without current )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when did 3rd brake light come in on the mot?

Dont understand why its only 8volts at the 3rd light .. and Constant
OR why its not flattening the battery .

( Hope I have this right )
Would say you have issues with the wiring , and not the Multiplex..
Volts and current are not the same so though you have voltage ( and low voltage at that )
Would say you have high resistance and not allowing current through .
(Voltage can occur without current )
Thanks Ours 2112 , please can you confirm on the Scenic 3 2011 , the 3rd brake light is only looking for 12v DC ; so NO pedal, zero volts ; brake pedal IN ,,, 12v ,Is that what SHOULD be happening ?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,059 Posts
To your question, yes

NOW are you sure 3rd brake light has come into the MOT, as it's not around here
i asked for you on Saturday was at the garage (as he needs someone with him when he Mot's cars,) and the 3rd brake light was not working on a Ford Cmax, yet it passed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts