Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all wondering if anyone can shed some light on this issue

My old man has a 2009 scenic 3 Tom Tom turbo 1.4 petrol

It's doing my swede in keeps coming up with engine failure fault stop vehicle on dash followed by a severe misfire and limp mode which usually clears temporary by cycling the ignition on and off

Snap-on scanner is saying open circuit on coil pack 1 through to 4 so all 4 packs open circuit error

Open circuit is usually a dead part such as the coil pack etc, a break in the wiring or a sensor that's been unplugged

Normally I would expect a coilpack to give a fault code for one cylinder however and this is only a theory of mine if say coilpack numbers1 is the culprit given they are all inline on the same loom this could cause the open circuit on the other coils

All 4 at the same time is what's confusing me as they are single pencil coils and not a single unit block type pack

So far tried a new battery as it was the original and very tired

4 brand new iridium ngk plugs

And i have convinced him to switch from the heavily ethanol laced cheapo supermarket fuel, to shell vpower

He is too tight to pay for a genuine renault diagnostic service

He has just spent a fair amount on replacing both rear calipers due to an epb fault and a few other service items so I can kinda see his point

So the next option is replace all 4 coils but I'm not sure this is going to work given the fact its very unusual for 4 separate pencil coils to all fail at the same time

I'm leaning towards either a faulty ecu, a bad earth or a wiring fault may be causing this issue but it could also be the camshaft, crankshaft or knock sensor

Just wondering if anyone here may be able to shed some light on the issue or possibly fixed this specific issue their self before he wastes even more money on the fault

He is borderline getting rid of it or taking the can of petrol and a box of matches option

Apologies for the wall of txt, was just trying to give as much info as possible, thanks in advance for any advice or replies

Cheers andy

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,308 Posts
HI Andyb712 and welcome:)
Most unlikely four coils faulty.
Snap on are generally good but that model may not have the ability to discriminate.
My generic scanner reported a P0300, random misfire. The car was putting up injection and emission messages.
It turned out to be water leaking into the plug well of No. 2 cylinder. A Renault speaking tool might have been more specific. It could save a lot of time and parts roulette.
Assuming the coil and injector wiring and plugs are in good nick, I would suggest pulling the plugs to see if one is different. If one is then you could consider moving coils and or injectors around to get the fault to move.
Crank sensor would be more generally associated with hard starting. In any case it's easy enough to remove and wipe the crud from it.

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
7,239 Posts
It's doing my swede in keeps coming up with engine failure fault stop vehicle on dash followed by a severe misfire and limp mode which usually clears temporary by cycling the ignition on and off
If the misfire AND limp mode clears when cycling ignition, I would look at the upstream O2 first ............... (ignition off causes open loop rich running that doesn't care about O2 ............. soon as O2 is expected to start working properly about 30 seconds later and its wonky ECU has a fit)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the advice mate I'll look into I was thinking of checking the plugs already

Hopefully a few others may chime in but your advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the misfire AND limp mode clears when cycling ignition, I would look at the upstream O2 first ............... (ignition off causes open loop rich running that doesn't care about O2 ............. soon as O2 is expected to start working properly about 30 seconds later and its wonky ECU has a fit)
Again solid advice the O2 sensor was something I was going to look into

But unfortunately my old man is about as stubborn as an old mountain goat may as well bang my head against the wall trying to tell him things

It needs to go on renault diagnostics ideally but he won't be told

On the plus side a 70 year old has to drive a 300bhp vxr (mine) when he needs a car which is quite entertaining 😀

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
7,239 Posts
Snap-On surely has a EOBD module built-in.................... should be able to get a O2 voltage graph or log from there and we can start pointing fingers - don't need a Renault speaking scanner for THAT in particular

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snap-On surely has a EOBD module built-in.................... should be able to get a O2 voltage graph or log from there and we can start pointing fingers - don't need a Renault speaking scanner for THAT in particular
Yes mate will have to see if I can get my mechanic friend to plug it in again for live data

Unfortunately though my friend is getting annoyed with it at minute because its one thing after another with the car

He is sick of messing with it especially at this time of year after working hours, after a 10 hour shift every day

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,026 Posts
have you tried without recycling the ignition
try this connect scanner, take car for a run with it connected
Then read the fault codes. as they hapen ,
The coils can be switched off for different reasons
Losing a crank or cam signal will switch them off

Reactions: LvR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes mate will have to see if I can get my mechanic friend to plug it in again for live data

Unfortunately though my friend is getting annoyed with it at minute because its one thing after another with the car

He is sick of messing with it especially at this time of year after working hours, after a 10 hour shift every day
Did you get to the bottom of this issue? If so what was it? I have a similar issue with an Espace running rough eng management light on etc, diagnostics detected 4x coil packs not functioning correctly. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts