Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2011 Scenic 1.5 (110), its been in the garage recently where I've been told that it needs a new ECU soon, as the glow plugs are getting 6v even when ignition is off, something about it not earthing when the ignition + keys are removed.

I have a few questions:

1. Any idea how much this would cost? I assume its not a run of the mill DIY job
2. When i was exploring earlier, i was looking in the engine fuse box, I noticed that this fuse box does not match any diagram I've found for a 2011 scenic (or scenic 3), instead its a direct match for the diagrams of the 2005-2009 scenics, is it possible someone has put the wrong fuse box in this car when repairing etc?
3. It lists the starter fuse as 25a, however there is a 30a fuse in there, now i know that's unlikely to cause any damage to the fuse, but is it possible that this has caused further damage somewhere along in the system?
4. the 30a fuse prongs look "burnt" but the circuit is still in tact, as the car has been starting sometimes (and ALWAYS starts from a rolling start), could the fuse not being clean cause this issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,026 Posts
Dont change an ECU for that
Is battery going flat or something
If NOT then Leave ECU alone.
This is known as a passive voltage, it shows power but not using amps
Would be investing in either a garage that knows about Renault, or a starter motor

That is

IF what you mean is starter is not turning engine over, but will bump in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah will bump in fine, when I push start, i get a click from the glovebox / engine fuse box, that's it, sometimes it will start, sometimes not. I thought it sounded a bit strange to be an ECU fault really, but my knowledge is not brilliant

·
39,026 Posts
No flat battery Glow plugs are not the issue, and Deffo not an ECU problem

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
39,026 Posts
ouch,
still sounds like a starter motor issue this end

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
Sounds more and more like starter.

AS Ourkid says.
6v on glows is normal, it's a self check system...it isn't actually 6v but a pulse modulation set up...which many multimeters read as 6v.
If it starts (with a bump) and runs okay, there is sweet FA wrong with ECU....and chances are nothing wrong even if the engine didn't run okay...they are often blamed for a sensor or bad connection.

Check you have 12v at the starter permanent feed, the big wire.
See what happens if you short that to the small wire (ignition off and in neutral)...starter should kick over.
Or get someone who knows what they are doing to check the starter for you...which doesn't include the plonker you used before.

You sure the battery is okay???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds more and more like starter.

AS Ourkid says.
6v on glows is normal, it's a self check system...it isn't actually 6v but a pulse modulation set up...which many multimeters read as 6v.
If it starts (with a bump) and runs okay, there is sweet FA wrong with ECU....and chances are nothing wrong even if the engine didn't run okay...they are often blamed for a sensor or bad connection.

Check you have 12v at the starter permanent feed, the big wire.
See what happens if you short that to the small wire (ignition off and in neutral)...starter should kick over.
Or get someone who knows what they are doing to check the starter for you...which doesn't include the plonker you used before.

You sure the battery is okay???

I know how to do this, hypothetically, I've seen it done a few times before. I'm just not 100% sure on what type of wire to use?

yeah it runs perfectly once it gets going, its just getting it going that's the problem! battery is good, its a Bosch s4, 4 months old. still reading at 12v

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If everything worked OK on the car before it went wrong you have the right fusebox.
Agreed the ecu diagnosis is unlikely, get a new mechanic who knows what they are doing, parts bingo is expensive.
How burnt is burnt? Post a photo?
Check the battery connections are good. Check earth straps to body are good (no corrosion etc)
When it it fails to start: (no point if if it is actually turning over OK and starting)then if you're going to try the starter shorting of the 2 connections which should be next to each other (one very thick wire, one thinner wire) make sure the car is out of gear and handbrake on.
You Should be able to short the 2 connections with a screwdriver but make sure it doesn't come into contact with the metal body of the starter or anywhere else on the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If everything worked OK on the car before it went wrong you have the right fusebox.
Agreed the ecu diagnosis is unlikely, get a new mechanic who knows what they are doing, parts bingo is expensive.
Check the battery connections are good. Check earth straps to body are good (no corrosion etc)
When it it fails to start: (no point if if it is actually turning over OK and starting)then if you're going to try the starter shorting of the 2 connections which should be next to each other (one very thick wire, one thinner wire) make sure the car is out of gear and handbrake on.
You Should be able to short the 2 connections with a screwdriver but make sure it doesn't come into contact with the metal body of the starter or anywhere else on the car.
Hey, i'll try this tomorrow, this is a pic of the fuse i took earlier, the circuit is still in tact ,like i said :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Shorted successfully first time this morning, immediate start, I have some fuses coming today so I'm going to replace that 30a one with the correct 25a one anyway, and will see how it goes, where should I be looking assuming issue is still there? :)

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6- boot carpet says March 12, 2001
2,218 Posts
the plonker you used before.
Just musing, nowt useful to add but it's Sunday morning, right?
+1 on the new garage.
That fuse just looks a bit tarnished at the top, probably still OK on the prongs, I'd change it anyway. Replacement ECU is ££hundreds.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
When you get the click, try to track down where from.
Always used to be within the underbonnet fuse box.
If you can find the relay that is clicking, you can trying swapping that.
I haven't access to details for your car but someone may be able to point you to the relay?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you get the click, try to track down where from.
Always used to be within the underbonnet fuse box.
If you can find the relay that is clicking, you can trying swapping that.
I haven't access to details for your car but someone may be able to point you to the relay?

If i remember rightly, the relay on this car is soldered into the fuse box? I may not be right however! I'll see if i can isolate the sound more accurately

·
39,026 Posts
That fuse is it out of the under bonnet fuse box
Clicking Relay is possibly your running relay

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The fuse is clicking?
CDBA are relays
I cant quite work out where the sound is coming from, as the car is starting sometimes, it throws me off the scent a little when it does.

A and B are below:
  • A 70А – power relay (+ battery) with delayed shutdown (without power off at startup)
  • B 70А – power relay (+ battery) with delayed shutdown (with power off at startup)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts