Relay D = Horn

That fuse is to energise engine running relay
so that could be the issue, not saying it is
But no-one has ever mentioned issues with this fuse box inside the car ,
( You could be the first )

Change the fuse and see how you go on
If no joy attack starter motor
Pull small wire off starter, get a piece of wire that will reach battery area
Connect to the small/thin wire your piece of wire, the other end of your extended wire connect multimeter red probe to this (Set multimeter on volts) extended wire, other black probe to the battery negative

Set multimeter in a position you can see it from inside the car
Press start button, screen should show around battery voltage show on the multimeter

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,987 Posts
I have 2 lengths of wire,, 1 Red and 1 Black, will reach from front to rear of most cars with crocodile clips on both ends

Saves hours ,

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ok so, a little update, after bridging the starter motor (which before hand worked), i've replaced the fuse and it appeared to be fixed, until this morning, where it suddenly did the same thing.

However, i went to bridge the starter again so i could atleast get to work, and I had a Click, directly from the starter motor, I'm no expect (thats why i'm here i guess :D) but i assume that means there is an issue with the actual starter motor its self?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,497 Posts
IMO likely to be the starter.

The click from the starter is the solenoid moving.
This should put the drive gear into the flywheel teeth and towards the end of its travel, make contacts within the solenoid that puts power to the motor....this should spin the motor.
Could be solenoid sticking during its travel, bad contacts or motor brushes worn out.

That it works sometimes but not others tends to suggest it is internal in the starter and not other issues like power feeds, signal or poor earths.

Shop about for a refurb (or new) starter, prices can vary

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
IMO likely to be the starter.

The click from the starter is the solenoid moving.
This should put the drive gear into the flywheel teeth and towards the end of its travel, make contacts within the solenoid that puts power to the motor....this should spin the motor.
Could be solenoid sticking during its travel, bad contacts or motor brushes worn out.

That it works sometimes but not others tends to suggest it is internal in the starter and not other issues like power feeds, signal or poor earths.

Shop about for a refurb (or new) starter, prices can vary
Thanks for this, i've found a "tested and cleaned" Bosch starter for this particular car through a breaker (comes with a part warranty etc) so will be replacing when it arrives with me and will update and let you know if it resolves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
an update, replaced the starter motor on sunday morning, took a few hours (not much room to get in there) most of which was spent slowly unscrewing the bolts!

since then, car has started every time without fail, no issues whatsoever. thank you very much for your advice!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts