Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side wing mirror on my Scenic 3 is no longer folding. I'm not certain at the moment if the motor has failed or if perhaps there is just some lubrication needed. What type of grease would be required if the latter?

Assuming worst case, I've been browsing the forum here for any instructions on removing/replacing it but have only been able to locate instructions on Scenic Mk2. Can anybody point me to something on this?

This is a great forum by the way guys. Has already helped me solve a wiper problem, so much appreciated.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,576 Posts
Try manually folding it in & out to see whether motor has disengaged after a knock. If no sound of motor running to close/open think wiring may be the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wyn. I experimented with it a bit last night, and there is still some life in the motor, but it is straining and gets stuck most of the time. I can manually swivel the mirror open.

I have a spray can of white silicon grease I got from Aldi some time ago. Would this be a suitable option to try spraying under the mirror?

·
1,576 Posts
Can't do any harm but it will be hard to get it where it is needed most. Dismantling the mirror to try lubricating the motor will be difficult as you have to get the glass removed and that means tryng to unhook the circular retaining spring behinnd the outer edge of the glass, you can see it on Youtube vids for replacing the mirror glass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't suppose you've a direct link on YouTube for the right procedure? I've tried finding them but always end up with MK2 or Mégane but no Scenic Mk3 results. Perhaps just using the wrong terms.

·
1,576 Posts
Is this a Mk 3? Not sure, but stop the vid at 26s, you can see the back of the removed glass, it isn't held by a circular spring as I thought but 4 sets of plastic hooks onto the circular ring. If you adjust the mirror as far as it will go inwards with luck you may be able to release the outer hooks in turn with a strong piece of bent wire as you pull the glass gently out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a mk1 or 2 I think. I eventually find this one which looks right... it's replacing the entire assembly as opposed to popping the mirror glass off, but should still prove useful I think.

Also asked in another Fluence Mk3 video that you can just pop off the coloured casing to get at it from the other side, so between the two, should be able to get in. Will report back.

·
1,576 Posts
Hi Rix, I think the only way to get the front casing off without damage is when the glass is out so the casing lugs can be unhooked from the back. Best Wyn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes... although the unit looks very similar to that on the Fluence video I spotted earlier, after having a poke at it with a flat edged tool, I was not able to easily prise it apart, so left alone for now.

I did find that half-folding the mirror in manually does lift it slightly off the pillar though, so was able to spray some lithium (not silicone as I incorrectly stated earlier) grease into the joint with the narrow tube that came with it. This 'appears' to have done the trick as it seems to fold consistently now, though there is a bit of a groaning sound coming from it still, so I wouldn't be too surprised if I'm looking at it again before too long!

Also, turns out the model in the video I linked to is also different to mine (hard to be certain if it is in fact a Megane or a Scenic given the awkward angle in the video) so proved no help in the end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts