Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my scenic has been fine until two days ago when I parked. On return, I turned the key and all the dash does what it should, but when I turn the key nothing happens. The fuel pump activates and the ignition turns on, but there is no power getting to the starter at all. No clicking or dimming of lights as when the starter is stuck. We have been parking on slopes so that we can bump it, and then with no warning it will just fire up off the key once or maybe twice. Is there a solenoid somewhere or is it a starter problem. Are there any connections I can get to easilly to check that they aren't loose? Any sugestions would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is fine, if you turn the lights on and then turn the key thry do not go dim. There is no power drain or any getting to the starter. Could it be the ignition switch itself?

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
There is a solonoid on the side of the starter motor.

Connected to this is a fairly thin wire .(compared to the main high current carrying cable.) The conector on the thin wire has a spade connector on it and these have a habit of corroding amd coming loose Its worth removing the spade and cleaning up the connector and also make sure that it is a tight fit when you put it back on.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O.K. have found starter and solenoid, wire seems well atatched and when voltage meter connected and ignition key turned meter indicates that power is getting as far as the solenoid. Tried the old hit the starter with a hammer trick and guess what, burst into life. Seems to me that the solenoid is playing up so looks like replacing the whole starter assembly.
Thanks for the sugestions anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.