Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2001 (51) 1.9 DCi Scenic. The problem I have is when I open the bonnet I have to have someone else to pull the bonnet release cable, while I lift the bonnet. A bit of a problem when on your own! So I am guessing that the cable is going? or needs adjusting? or something on the slam plate needs adjusting?

Cheers
Andy

G

·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I have owned a few of these Scenic's and it's usually the bonnet mechanism that starts to stick. When you pull the lever the bonnet should pop up enough so that you can place your fingers under it to lift it.

Probably just got a bit rusty I find usually what works is spraying the lock mechanism several times with penetrating oil and keep locking the lock mechanism with the round stem of a screw driver (saves keep lowering the bonnet) and releasing repeatedly until it frees off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Many thanks for the very quick reply, the bonnet does lift enough so you can get your fingers underneath. I will give it a go with the oil and knock the lock a bit until free, if this does not work, I will repost.

Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Does the bonnet have a spring mounted on the underside to assist it when the bonnet is initially released?

It may be needing opened-up a bit.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to say that with some lubricating oil the bonnet now opens enough for me to open it with out the use of another helping hand. Many thanks to all that posted their help.

Cheers

Andy

G

·
Just to say that with some lubricating oil the bonnet now opens enough for me to open it with out the use of another helping hand. Many thanks to all that posted their help.

Cheers

Andy
Glad to hear you got it sorted :) I have found working the mechanism multiple times and the use of lubricant has always worked for me.

I think the pivot pin on the release catch must get rusty and as the bonnet doesn't get lifted very frequently it just gradually seizes up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi fellas, my problem with the bonnet latch/catch/lock whatever it's called, is I can't get it to stay locked. I can press the locking mechanism down but it springs back to open....it was working fine up to a few days ago when I checked oil and coolant but ever since it's only closed on on the open lever latch(the one that lifts the bonnet)...got me puzzled , the cable seems fine , any possible solutions?

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Have you tried lubricating the mechanism to ensure it all moves as it should when closing?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Thanks for all the advice on this subject.

The bonnet on my wife's Scenic would not open this weekend, but following the tips it was soon sorted and now the catch is well lubricated/greased.

The bonnet has been opened every week for the last 13 and a bit years, but it appears that I have negletted to regularaly lubricate this mechanism.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.