Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to have the brakes apart to inspect/clean up etc. The Haynes manual tells me that I need to discard and replace the caliper guide pin if I am to take the calipers off. Is this true as I am only doing an inspect to see if I need to change anything.

It is an 03 plate, the last before they brought out the new current style, if that is of any significance.

Thanks in advance,

Mr Nellie McNell

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there, the same situation for my Lag as well, I don't know the reason for this myself but I'm sure one of the tech guys will enlighten us later. :) I guess it's to do with wear and tear.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Nellie - I take its the guide pin bolts your talking about - not only Haynes recommend this - but if you buy a fairly decent set of new pads new bolts are usualy part of the pack. I have used APEC pads in the past and new bolts have been provided where appropriate. The bolts concerned are designed as use "once only" as during use they can be subjected to quite a bit of heat and vibration. It is also recommended that a locking compound be applied to the thread of the bolts so thay can't come loose. It should be remembered these bolts are the only thing stopping the caliper coming adrift and resulting brake failure. Brakes are like good friends "you really miss them when they're not there". Don't skimp on brakes or you may not live to regret it. If your only going to have a look don't disturb the bolts or pins:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi Nellie - I take its the guide pin bolts your talking about - not only Haynes recommend this - but if you buy a fairly decent set of new pads new bolts are usualy part of the pack. I have used APEC pads in the past and new bolts have been provided where appropriate. The bolts concerned are designed as use "once only" as during use they can be subjected to quite a bit of heat and vibration. It is also recommended that a locking compound be applied to the thread of the bolts so thay can't come loose. It should be remembered these bolts are the only thing stopping the caliper coming adrift and resulting brake failure. Brakes are like good friends "you really miss them when they're not there". Don't skimp on brakes or you may not live to regret it. If your only going to have a look don't disturb the bolts or pins:)
Good advice there madnoel10, Have you any idea how much these bolts cost?
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Have'nt a clue about the cost of bolts as I've alaways got them with the new pads - the APEC ones actually come with locking compound applied to them. I don't even know if Renault sell them separate - if I know Renault prices it may be cheaper to buy a set of APEC pads. Generally motor factors will not split a set of pads just to give you the bolts. I know if Iwas going to the bother of stripping down a set of front brakes I would replace the pads whilst I was in there.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts