Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Does any one know when the ignition coils on a 1.6 scenic require replacement. Should they be replaced periodically, or only if they fail? (Have had 2 replaced due to failure so far). Also, for that matter, the spark plugs?

Thanks,

Chris.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
They should last the lifetime of the car, But it is a known problem with Renaults some suggest changing the complete set if any problem occurs, Their are alternatives to Renault ones , Have a search of the Forums under Coil's you should find some posts of interest there, Spark plugs I believe is 25K as per your handbook, Be sure and use the correct plugs as the wrong resistance can cause ignition problems.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
13 Posts
the other two will go eventually Renault fit sagem coils Renault know that these are faulty make sure you get a different brand valco , or better still get Renault to pay up for what is an inherent fault . using consumer law if a item has an inherent fault( i.e was faulty from new) regardless of age or length of warranty it should be replaced free of charge

·
Registered
13 Posts
when a coil goes, that means that one pot in the engine is not firing so unburnt fuel is going through the engine and into the catalytic converter damaging it eventually so if one goes it`s best all round to get them all done and do`nt use sagem ones which are the ones fitted to renault in the factory go for Valco

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scenic Coils

We had the original set replaced within the first 18month of having the scenic from new (2001). They have lasted until earlier this year when we had one go, the AA man wanted £45 to replace one but we told him to stuff it and bought a full set for the same price from Ebay. We have since had a second one go and carry the remaining two in the boot along with the Tork driver and I've taught the Mrs how to change one in case she needs to.

John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dialogys tech note says they should be replaced at 150,000 km or earlier if they show devialtion from standard.

However, if engine is running when started on all 4 cyllinders they should be fine.
Always replace by two - 1 and 3 and/or 2 and 4.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's exactly why you should always be extra careful in choosing the right spark plugs for the engine.
Be prepared for 2 and 4.
Btw, I saw quite cheap China-made coils for renault on e-bay which compared to original might be more cost effective. Has anyone used such?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's exactly why you should always be extra careful in choosing the right spark plugs for the engine.
Be prepared for 2 and 4.
Btw, I saw quite cheap China-made coils for renault on e-bay which compared to original might be more cost effective. Has anyone used such?

I have two scenics, the first one I used the cheap aftermarket coils that you talk about off E-bay (£50 for a full set of 4) and have had no problems for over 18 months! the problem is I suspect one of the coils is faulty now on the other scenic but just wanted to ask as the symptoms are slightly different? When the first scenic coil went it used to completely cut out and splutter in a bad way - this one however runs ok for a while then just starts to splutter but does not cut out - then when left for a while runs ok again then starts to splutter - do you think this is definately one of the coils on its way out as I dont want to replace all the coils if there could be a fuel issue - Its a 02 scenic II 1.6i 16v and when it does splutter the engine management light comes on then it can go ok for a very short while. any advice would be really appreciated!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Failing ignition coils tend to break-down as the get hot so it may well be you have one or more beginning to fail. It is also recommended the spark plugs be renewed when replacing a faulty coil as a misfiring coil can cause the plug to deteriorate badly.

If you have access to a multimeter you can check each coils primary and secondary coil resistance for signs of deterioration.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
There was a recall on pencil coils back in 2001. Renault fitted SAGEM units as standard but they were replaced by DENSO units.

They misfire in damp conditions. An easy fix is remove them, blow any moisture out of the plug hole. dry the coils off, remove the plugs and clean them up, refit the plugs, refit the coils squirting WD40 over them - this should repel any mositure and stop the engine misfiring.

They fitted these coil packs to all of these engines....

K4J - 1.4 16V
K4M - 1.6 16V
F4P - 1.8 16V
F4R - 2.0 16V

·
Registered
5 Posts
There was a recall on pencil coils back in 2001. Renault fitted SAGEM units as standard but they were replaced by DENSO units.

They misfire in damp conditions. An easy fix is remove them, blow any moisture out of the plug hole. dry the coils off, remove the plugs and clean them up, refit the plugs, refit the coils squirting WD40 over them - this should repel any mositure and stop the engine misfiring.

They fitted these coil packs to all of these engines....

K4J - 1.4 16V
K4M - 1.6 16V
F4P - 1.8 16V
F4R - 2.0 16V
Thanks for both of your replies guys! So Matt Black, you think I should try this before just replacing all 4 of the coils to see if it works? The coil Packs I fitted to my last scenic were only 50 quid for the 4 and have been ok for 18 months now. The engine in this car is as you stated above a K4M - I may just fit the coil packs anyway for the price just for peace of mind in the future if thats what you both think it is. I just didn't want to splash out on a new coil pack only to relise it didn't fix the issue. Just one more question? If I continue to drive the car could it cause serious damage as I would have to wait a couple of days for the Coil pack to arrive and need to get to work (unfortunately there is no public transport to where I work!)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If one or more cylinders are misfiring and unburnt fuel gets into the exhaust it could end up damaging the CAT. Try the WD40 trick - you've nothing to loose.
If you know which cylinder is misfiring interchange its coil with another cylinder and see if the fault follows - a simple but effective test.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK I thought I would give the WD40 trick a go so took out all the Coils 1 by 1 from left to right, first three were fine apart from being coked up (which I believe is normal) but upon inspection of the final one the bottom of the coil was damp and absolutely covered in yellowish powdery stuff and inside the coil and all over the actual spark plug was soaked. it actually didn't smell strong of petrol which worries me! It seemed damp? I then started wondering if this could be a dodgy spark plug or loose connection. Anyway I thought I would dry everything up and tighten everything up and do the WD40 thing, took the car for a good run and not a cough or splutter at all?! I also worried in case this meant that the head gasket could be on its way out. Anyway I'm gonna see how it goes on and if the same thing happens with the coil/plug on the right I'm gonna swap the plug with another one and take it from there - recommended?? And cheers guys for your time and effort on this. Its great to know that people want to help raher than me having to cash in on the dealer!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I should also add that beforehand it didn't have a problem until the engine was warm but after doing the above I drove for quite a number of miles uphill downhill and slow and fast.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I should also add that beforehand it didn't have a problem until the engine was warm but after doing the above I drove for quite a number of miles uphill downhill and slow and fast.
Glad you got it sorted and many thanks for the update. Time will tell if its permanent fix.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you got it sorted and many thanks for the update. Time will tell if its permanent fix.:)
Well so far so good, I have not fitted the new coils as they have not arrived yet but the car has been fine not a murmur! Thanks for the tips guys. I have been using it to go to work in and have taken out the coil and spark plug that had the problem and checked and all seems dry and fine - I'll keep my eye on it and feed back if theres anything untoward. I'm gonna also keep the new coils as a spare set as I know as sson as I let them go I will have a coil fail!!!! Once again thanks ever so for all your time and effort - keep on rolling!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts