Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this forum and thought i'd give it a try. On way home from Shrewsbury yesterday our 2002 Megane Scenic cut out in the fast lane of the M54. Managed to get over to hard shoulder and eventually relayed home by AA which took 10 hours (should be 4!). AA thought it was cam belt. Waiting for car to be picked up by garage at the moment but they weren't certain that it was the cam. Two questions really, 1) should the cam belt go after 34,000 miles? 2) What else do you think it could be?

If anyone could help I'd be very grateful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could we get anything from Renault as it is only 4-1/2 years old (I know its nearly 5 years..) and only 34,000 miles. In your experience do you think they'd help financially??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Renault, help you out, you must be having a laugh!

I'm not sure if your car is affected, but Renault has just launched a recall for a problem with air con compressors failing which causes the engine to cut out. Maybe worth asking about.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Its generally more to do with your relationship with your dealer and approach to RCS than anything else, if it was dealer serviced etc, give them a try ... you never know ... Just be polite ... but be firm and dont take any crap!

Hope it helps, and lets know what happens :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found out that it was the camshaft that broke, something about something shearing off and all 16 valves broken and stuff... £850 worth of repairs (would have been more but if we pay cash they'll knock the VAT off). Didn't buy the car from a Renault dealer but from a used car garage. They've been really good and have lent us a Corsa, so small though, when you get out of it you think you've fallen over lol! Will have a go at trying to get something from Renault but having read a few websites now it doesn't look too hopeful. Still once repaired it'll have new camshaft, belt and what ever else it needs and hopefully will be ok.... Its a 1.4 and not 1.6 by the way. Thanks for all your help and i'll let you know if we get any joy.... can't see it happening tho!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts