Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some other posts, I'm guessing I know the answer to this question already.... But, is it possible to disable the passenger side airbag on a V-reg Scenic Alize??
Baby due next week and already got 2 child seats in the back of the car - wondering how this baby's gonna fit in the back too!!
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I'm not sure on the older Scenic's but both my 05 & 07 Scenic's if you open the drivers door their should be a switch on the door post .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If there isn't a switch.

Are both your children in the back using rearward-facing child seats? If not, I would suggest moving the one which is in a forward-facing seat into the front (forward-facing), and your newest one into the back.

The front seat should be moved back as far as possible.

Its not ideal having the smallest one in the rear (you naturally want to keep an eye on him/her), but you can only make do with what you have available.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with the new arrival!

Paul:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hate to be a killjoy but the word kill really has meaning here.

A child in the front with an active airbag is at great risk from serious if not mortal injury. It is like being punched in the face by a very big person and their soft bones can not take this force.

Both my partner and I have the same problem, my 02 Scenic has no key to disable it and even if it is disconnected I've been advised you are still unable to put a child in the front. The official line is, if it is installed then it may go off unless there is a manufacturers standard method of disabling it, ie a key.

My partner has an 05 Fiesta and I think is a scandal it doesn't have this key system.

I don't know how old your kids are but you can use smaller booster seats from 3 years old. Luckily my 10 year old is quite tall and well above the height requirement, tried her in one of the booster seats and her head was brushing the roof in the Scenic! Have to put the wee one, only 11 weeks old, in the back with a convex mirror on the headrest to keep an eye on him. £9.99 from Mothercare.

Sorry to be the voice of doom but having been in an accident very recently it's brought it home that it can happen.:(

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Are both your children in the back using rearward-facing child seats? If not, I would suggest moving the one which is in a forward-facing seat into the front (forward-facing), and your newest one into the back.

The front seat should be moved back as far as possible.

Which is why I said this - a rearward facing seat should never be placed in the front seat with an active airbag.

Children are probably the most valuable commodity which we carry in our cars - it really riles me when I see them in other cars totally unrestrained.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Vel,

I've been told unless you can key it off then no seat is allowed in the front. I get your point about moving the front seat back as far as it will go but I'm told it is still a dangerous force for small bones, chest and facial injuries due to sudden compression from the airbag combined with the force of the seat belt on a smaller surface area.

The bones haven't fused and hardened in young children and this of course makes them more vulnerable to this kind of head-on impact from the bag.

It's very frustrating, I've only encountered the problem when I first had my niece and nephew to stay as well as my 10 year old and the baby to consider. Forget about where to put my partner and my sister and her hubbie! :crazy:

Lots of careful planning went into that weekend.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I know what you mean, and by all means, I'm not going to try to change your mind on this one. I use a 3-stage child seat for my 17month old son. This has integrated straps, and the seatbelt is purely used to anchor the seat into position. (I could've got an ISOFIX), but since the seat goes into the Vel Satis, my van, or any of my cars - I chose this option for the flexibility it offers.

The legal stance is, that a rear-ward facing child seat is never to be fitted in a front seat which has an active airbag.

Front-facing is fine as long as the seat is mounted as far back as possible.

The airbag is porous, and starts to deflate as soon as its reached its full size (some cars have 'intelligent airbags' which calculate the occupant's size and adjust the amount of inflation required). Most people who are injured by airbags are adults - those who choose to sit too close (for reasons best know to themselves - if the car has airbags, then its more than likely it will have power steering...). So by moving the seat far away, and the child having their own seat belts - they should never be anywhere near the full extent of the airbag.

Remember, its the seatbelt which does most of the work here, and it locks into place with only millimetric play.

As I said above though - its your choice, and fair play to you for giving it so much thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts